Thread: *Also* not so much a software question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You could also use it as a file server...
    Joe
    Thats what I just did. Downloaded a turnkey linux distribution, and dropped in a SATA card an two 500GB sata drives running mirrored. Total cost < $250CDN.

I'm also using it as a print server.

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by Redrobes View Post
    If you run a VNC server on the old box then you can run a VNC client on the laptop and view the screen on the laptop. Also if you buy a projector or have a large monitor for it then you can use the old box as a projector / map slave for VTT's when playing RPG's
    Oh, you tease me! I haven't had an opportunity to play in, oh, like 4 years now. Since I moved to Atlanta like a year-and-a-half ago, I haven't been able to build up a base of gamer friends. I've finally found some who enjoy niche boardgames (Settlers of Catan and others) via my fiancee, but few of these are interested in trying out RPGs any time soon if ever.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    You could always put linux on it and learn that if you don't know it. Linux tends to be quite a bit less memory intensive than Windows (especially Vista), so you may even see comparable performance even if the hardware is older. You could also use it as a file server...

Joe
    This was my original plan for the old machine--to try out Linux. I thought I'd be safe giving UBUNTU a whirl. But the soon-to-be-wifey suggests that since we both have an old desktop and a laptop that we ought to dump one of the old desktops (and we won't really have room in our new house for the clutter of multiple desktops). I don't anticipate her sacrificing her newer desktop for linux tinkering... We'll see if I can save it!

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Thats what I just did. Downloaded a turnkey linux distribution, and dropped in a SATA card an two 500GB sata drives running mirrored. Total cost < $250CDN.

I'm also using it as a print server.

-Rob A>
    A basic home server that can serve the Laptops around the house and do all the hard-line stuff would be a good use.

Thanks everyone!

Blog Entries

Don't forget that latest Ubuntu will run in a window on Windows. But yeah Id run a networked file server as an archive / backup system for the laptop in case it failed on you.

Edit -- Ahh but not for Windows Me it seems - almost everything but ME tho. Never did like ME much anyways.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 06-11-2008 at 01:49 PM.