Quote Originally Posted by Ghalev View Post
That's very broadly true in many cases, but it could be misleading to turn such a generalization into a design rule, especially in the present context (a trad-fantasy high-medieval-inspired city layout ... and one that has evidently grown to fill an island, no less).
You make some good points and I was thinking specifically of bronze age sites (mainly Bronze age Greek/Mycenaean sites - that's my personal specialty) which really doesn't fit this type of medieval city. I guess my brain was stuck in Classics mode (I was checking out some interesting archaeological sites just before I posted). It really does depend on the specific culture and time period so anything is possible (especially once you add the fantasy element).

I also got thinking about the docks at the grave yard and I thought that maybe the local clergy (of a sea god?) maybe offer burial at sea. This religious service may need to be offered separate from the commercial docks, hence the docks at the graveyard. It could also be used by smugglers or slavers looking for a backdoor entrance into the city. Anything is possible with the right idea.

It is such a cool map, I can wait to see the finish product.