Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
Cool backstory...
The part about the wall does remind me of the wall in George R. R. Martin's books. It that coincidence? Just wondering... sometimes I get great ideas, but then I Google them and realise it has all been done before
It reminds me of it too, which is annoying as this idea does precede ASoIaF by about half a dozen years. :S So yeah, it's pure coincidence. When I did the Vaniya map I was toying with the idea of somehow changing it or missing it off, purely because I didn't like the similarities (although there's no ice involved in mine and it isn't MASSIVELY HIGH) but I decided to leave it in because screw it, I myself know I didn't copy it. Hehe.

Redrobes: I have a small part of another continent sketched in a book from long ago where the story I plan on writing for NaNoWriMo takes place. Other than that the world is bare. My original sketch of Vaniya (which I rediscovered after I had done the Vaniya map and so varies quite a lot) goes further north with several countries up there making up Northern Vaniya.
As for doing more in this style, well I'd still like to Perdon which was the map I was toying with doing at the start of this mapping cycle. I have the base map sorted so I'm set to go. There are also a few cities I would like to do and I would also try and keep the same or at least a similar (hand drawn with roughly the same palette) look for those. But as I said after Vaniya... the prospect scares me. I think any shortcomings in the knowledge of the mapper will be more obvious with a city map. (Why would this be positioned there? Where is the so-and-so? Etc.)

And thank you Mearrin.