Thread: I'm getting a new inkjet printer!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by delgondahntelius View Post
    ya.. see the part where you say ... "Less than $100" ... I just can't find one that is actually 'flat' .. they all have lips on them so that scanning anything bigger than its designated scanning area means bending whatever medium you are trying to scan...

Is this actually possible? ..
    Could you lay a piece of glass thicker than the lip on the scanner, and scan on to of that? (Or would it be out of focus?)...

-Rob A>

Post possibly...

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Could you lay a piece of glass thicker than the lip on the scanner, and scan on to of that? (Or would it be out of focus?)...

-Rob A>
    As long as the glass is perfectly flat, flawless and clear - it might work. However, I know from experience that you don't want to scan a photo still in its frame behind glass. Clients have brought photos in frames that have water damage and the photo is permanently stuck to the glass. I've tried to scan these, but they are dark and out of focus.

Really, if you lay rigid document that sits above the glass on the housing itself, it seems to scan fine, if a slight bit dark, just make color and contrast adjustments and you should have no problem.

Trying thicker glass is a worthwhile experiment, but no guarantee its going to work.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Blog Entries

Friend of mine has a scanner which if it has creases then its ok and scans them too. Mine on the other hand. One micron off the glass and it goes black. A real pain for real folded maps as all the creases go black. I think it very much depends on the scanner model and make. In general I have found that those scanners for which the sensor bar is positioned right behind the glass have short focal length and those that have a bit of a gap have longer focal length. Those that are longer seem less susceptible to focus issues for non flat pages. Putting a dirty big pile of books on the top of mine when scanning helps but it can flex the glass and the motor sticks giving juddering marks in the scan. I really should spend some cash and get a nice one but I am a notorious miser.