Thread: Setting Gimp on the throne

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Thanks for the support guys, all useful info there. Bit of a bind that I need to store two copies of the drawings, one for Gimp and one for all other apps, especially as I'm just starting to realise how much space graphics storage can eat, but I can see the value of it.
    I suppose I could just store in xcf and print pngs on demand...

I eventually managed to get the file to a suitable PNG by just poking about with it. Still not sure what I was doing, but it worked. Wish I'd got your replies about saving in native format before I closed down for the night, JF, but hey, it's just an experiment. Once I get used to the software, I could probably reproduce in a few minutes what it's just taken me several hours to create by trial and error. And I know for next time.

Redrobes, it wasn't what I'd call a crash, nothing locked up or trashed my work, it was more of a refusal to comply with a request. I'll PM you, but I think I've overwritten that file.

Right now, I don't even know the difference between a channel and a layer. I'll get there eventually. Surprisingly, Gimp hasn't scared me off yet, in fact I might be able to do most of the simple stuff I always wanted to do without too much learning. After that, it's all bonus.

I'll be happier when I get a windows copy of the help file. I'll email Gimp today and see where they've hidden it. It's a PITA to have to look things up online, on another computer, that might not even be powered up at the time.

Here's the current version, background is now properly transparent and I've cleaned up some of the ugly black lines with a bit of pixel-clicking. I might try rounding off a few corners next, though that's gonna make area selection almost impossible.

That seat-back looks great, Rob. See, no matter how good the software is, it's no substitute for talent - unfortunately for me.
    Hmm. It shows up the fact that my seat back is too wide, it shouldn't overhang the plinth. Can't fix that without starting again from scratch, though.

Looks a bit tombstoneish at pres...

C&C anyone??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Throne3b.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	59.8 KB 
ID:	11430  
    Last edited by icosahedron; 03-18-2009 at 06:48 AM.
    Mapping a Traveller ATU.

See my (fantasy-based) apprenticeship blog at:

http://www.viewing.ltd.uk/cgi-bin/vi...forums&sx=1024

Look for Chit Chat, Sandmann's blog. Enjoy.