Thread: How do I apply a bevel effect without the black edges?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The normal GIMP bevel tool won't help because it adds the layer of pale and dark directly to the layer. What you need is something that seperates all these out. Luckily...

1) use this script-fu Layer Effects | GIMP Plugin Registry
    - Right-click on the link that says "layerfx.scm". A pop-up menu should appear. Click "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..." or whatever the equivalent option in your browser is.
    - Save the file "layerfx.scm" in your scripts folder. Should be in your computer/users/you/gimp 2.8/scripts.
    - Once you have saved the file in your scripts folder, if you are already running GIMP, either click <Toolbox>/Xtns/Script-Fu/Refresh Scripts, or just close and reopen GIMP.
    - If you have done this correctly, the scripts will appear in the menu under <Image>/Script-Fu/Layer Effects.

This script replicates several photoshop filters in the Gimp. One of them is called 'bevel and emboss'. When you use this bevel filter (instead of the normal gimp bevel filter) it separates the light and dark strokes on different layers with masks, so it is easy to manipulate. This should be what you need.

I advise however that you check out the 'inner glow' and 'outer glow' filters (also included in the above script-fu) as I think that's what you are looking for rather than a bevel. Photoshop has these also.
    Last edited by Jacktannery; 07-14-2013 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacktannery View Post
    The normal GIMP bevel tool won't help because it adds the layer of pale and dark directly to the layer. What you need is something that seperates all these out. Luckily...

1) use this script-fu Layer Effects | GIMP Plugin Registry
    - Right-click on the link that says "layerfx.scm". A pop-up menu should appear. Click "Save Target As..." or "Save Link As..." or whatever the equivalent option in your browser is.
    - Save the file "layerfx.scm" in your scripts folder. Should be in your computer/users/you/gimp 2.8/scripts.
    - Once you have saved the file in your scripts folder, if you are already running GIMP, either click <Toolbox>/Xtns/Script-Fu/Refresh Scripts, or just close and reopen GIMP.
    - If you have done this correctly, the scripts will appear in the menu under <Image>/Script-Fu/Layer Effects.

This script replicates several photoshop filters in the Gimp. One of them is called 'bevel and emboss'. When you use this bevel filter (instead of the normal gimp bevel filter) it separates the light and dark strokes on different layers with masks, so it is easy to manipulate. This should be what you need.

I advise however that you check out the 'inner glow' and 'outer glow' filters (also included in the above script-fu) as I think that's what you are looking for rather than a bevel. Photoshop has these also.
    Jack...thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!

That is exactly what I was hoping for (the bevel)! I'm playing around with the various settings right now. I LOVE that I can choose a colour (other than white) for the highlight and shadow colours, adjust the opacity, and choose a style for the bevel. So great! Thank you again!