Thread: My first map, WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Very nice for your first try!

I am just learning GIMP from Robs tut also. Though I have not tried it yet, you may be able to use the same technique used to create the "Dirt" layer to selectivly show/hide parts of your river flowing through the forest by creating "clearnings". Again, I have not tried it yet, but you may want to give the approach a try.

Also, some of the mountains have a hard line transition to another land type. I have found that selecting the layer mask on the mountain layer(the right most icon on that row) and running pixel spread and a 'tiny" bit of blur make the areas merge better. Some people like this technique, some don't but it's there if you want to give it a try. Note that it will make the border somewhat "transparent", so play with it if you want.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Nice go!

Joe gave the suggestion I would have. Select Alpha from the river layer, invert and feather it. Then move to the forest colour layer's mask (and many the texture, too) and fill the selection with black (or grey, depending on the intensity of the effect. This will put a "space" around the rivers. Alternately, create a bevel effect (explained somewhere - stf for my post) around the rivers that will make then look set into the land. The stop looking like they are painted on top of the forest that way.

-Rob A>