Thread: Why Photoshop & not Illustrator?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    I believe it much depends on what you use the program for. If you just edit your holiday photos for printing on your homeprinter (or at the photo-store), or make stuff like maps and the like, I'm sure GIMP is just as good as Photoshop - and personally I still miss the brush-pipe-function that GIMP has, thinking photoshop brushes really are missing the ability to have colored brushes. That being said - if you use the program for professional work, then you will probably be sorry not to have the CMYK color option when you work with GIMP - that is definitly a major reason for using photoshop (in addition to the partners you might work with might use adobe also and send you files for that.)
    But if GIMP can do the work - I see no reason to spend the money on Photoshop. I sure would like to save the to many dollars I pay every 1,5 years for the program, especially since adobe charge double in Denmark than they do in the US (for the same program).
    I'd also rather see people use Gimp rather than:
    - Pirating PS cause they can't afford it (which I think >50% of people using PS are doing)
    or
    - Using a student version of PS outside of what the student licensing allows (cause they can't afford the non-student version)

Just my 2 cents.

-Rob A.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    I'd also rather see people use Gimp rather than:
    - Pirating PS cause they can't afford it (which I think >50% of people using PS are doing)
    or
    - Using a student version of PS outside of what the student licensing allows (cause they can't afford the non-student version)

Just my 2 cents.

-Rob A.
    Agreed... there is no excuse for pirating PS when GIMP is free and can do most of what PS can do and a few things it CAN'T.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.