Dormouse, I have no idea why your system is running that so slowly. For the top line to print that it would suggest that the app is asking if your card driver supports OpenGL and its saying it does. Then it goes off and asks if it supports a list of required features and its not complained that any are missing. So as far as its concerned it has linked to the ATI card driver and has handed off all drawing to it. So for it to go so slow implies that the ATI driver is not running OpenGL correctly.

If you go to the desktop, right click, for the Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot. There is a slider to control hardware acceleration. Yank it all the way to the left for None. Ok that and try the demo again. I tried it and got this...

Code:
Your graphics card is not capable of accelerating this OpenGL
    application. The program will still run, though very slow
    depending on how fast your CPU is. If you are expecting that
    your card should have accellerated OpenGL then check that
    the driver is installed properly. Certain older cards may
    claim to accelerate some OpenGL but this program is requiring
    features not supported by it. Look at www.viewingdale.com
    to see if there are any special notes about this card

OpenGL is successfully running this application using the Windows
    software renderer.

Frames rendered: 864

Frames per second: 28.8

Your system is of moderate speed and will run ViewingDale though
    you will notice some slow down on complex scenes.

You would benefit greatly from adding a graphics card that accelerated
    OpenGL when running ViewingDale.
So this is using the software renderer which on my machine is about 15x slower than hardware rendering, but even then, its not 4fps. I am wondering if you did this that it would actually speed it up in your case !

Dont forget to slide the troubleshooting bar back to the right !

I would suggest updating the driver but thats up to you and its a good idea to take a system restore point before doing it (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...emrestore.mspx) . I am sure that you would find other apps like Blender, Sketchup and so on would run a lot better if your OpenGL was functional.