Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I may have found a cool city map building trick in inkscape

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Do inkscape filter effects rasterise the object though? (They do in Drawplus). Notsonoble, the problem I see with the clone tile is that it doesn't align the buildings along roads, so you'd have to do that by hand I guess. I do like the rest of it though.
    INkscape filter effects are defined by the SVG spec. The base objects all remain vectors.

-Rob A>

Ah sorry, I think it's the same in Drawplus too....I think. Although you can still edit the base object as a vector the displayed result is raster.....which is a bugger when you've got a large city with lots of tiny elements in it where the raster really shows.

The shading isn't dynamic, as for aligning the buildings, I put the roads in after, and it was a quick n dirty... I'm still playing with it... It may not be as handy as I'd expected, either I get a clump of buildings on top of each other, or they're scattered all over the place well out side the "page" boundary...
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Bryce has a similar thing for 3d objects. I thought it would be a good city creator but I think I began to run into the same sorts of problems you're doing....hopefully you'll find an ingenious solution!

Right now, it's "let it scatter them to the winds, or clump them... and then make adjustments..."

If you did buildings that didn't come pre shaded (the ones I'm playing with are), and perhaps did a bunch at a wide range on the rotation tab... you could do a lot better...

Unfortunately... this is my last week at my current job, which is followed by a week of (already planned) vacation away from computers, followed by a new job that's a completely different shift, and in a completely different town(s).

So I probably won't be able to hit this again until July -_-.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12