Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop, Adapted to Gimp

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Please do, Rob, that would be great! Thanks!

Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Post Episode 4 is now ready!

Episode 4 is finally ready! In this episode, we learn a trick to add some variety to our forest pattern so the tiling effect is obscured. We also learn to make a tree trunk brush pipe in Gimp, and use it to add trunks to our forested areas.

I seem to be having some trouble uploading the file, so I will upload the actual PDF later this evening. Thanks to everyone who has been monitoring this thread, and who has downloaded previous episodes. I plan to continue updating, and should be able to do so fairly quickly until mid-August--but as school starts for me at that time, they may slow down again.

Check back later tonight to get the new PDF!

Edit: Here is the file.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep4.pdf 
Views:	483 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	36979

Wisemoon (Megan)
    Last edited by wisemoon; 07-09-2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Adding a File
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Well, I joined just for these tutorials, and I think they're fantastic. Thank you!

Mixail

I like the tutorial, too.

Blog Entries

Hey everyone...Life got in the way again, I didn't get as far as I would have liked last summer while school was out. However, I'm hoping to get some more episodes done this month. Stay tuned, thanks for your praise and I'm glad you've found them helpful. Kudos to ZombieButch for the original videos, too.

wisemoon
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Awesome guide for those of us too poor to afford Photoshop, keep it up!

Blog Entries

Tutorial Fantasy Cartography Adapted to Gimp, Episode 4

Episode 4 is finally here! After a considerable delay due to unavoidable life circumstances, I have continued work on this project.

Name:	FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep4.pdf 
Views:	341 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	46347

Thanks everyone for all the great comments, and I hope you continue to enjoy working with this method.

wisemoon

Blog Entries

Tutorial Fantasy Cartography Adapted to Gimp, Episode 5

I have finished the written tutorial for Episode 5. This episode talks a lot about colors. Due to the fact that Gimp does not have the same selection of palettes/swatches that Photoshop does, I found a color chart for the FOCOLTONE colors and created a custom palette in Gimp for those colors. I also created an approximation of the Pantone colors in a custom palette, which is also included. Here are the palettes:

FocoltoneAndPantonePalettes.zip

And here is the tutorial PDF. Thanks so much for reading and using the tutorials. Enjoy!

Name:	FantasyCartography_AdaptedToGimp_Ep5.pdf 
Views:	299 
Size:	356.0 KB 
ID:	46350

wisemoon

Blog Entries

Just wanted to let readers know that I am in the middle of doing Episode 6, but I am mostly working on this during the weekends as I am focusing on other job-related projects during the week. So stay tuned, I should be posting Episode 6 and possibly Episode 7 at the end of the week.

wisemoon

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast