Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: First Map

Fantastic map, especially since its your first. I love your cliff, it looks really good.
    Sláinte

"'Round the world and back again, that's the sailor's way!"
    Willie Wonka
    Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory

http://warforsouthernindependence.blogspot.com/
    My blog exploring some unpopular truths about the war that defines our nation.

Wip

Well, aside from adding the tattered unrolled look, I also made the northeast forest dominantly coniferous and adjusted the blue color around the coast. Just a couple more things that I want to perfect before I consider it finished. I'd like to add some sort of sea creature/monster in the ocean and make a fancier compass.

I'm sure if you notice anything that doesn't look quite right you'll let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schataria2.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	26867  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

This looks great but you're missing towns. I haven't read through the previous text so I don't know if you're doing that or not but this style almost screams for a few towns. Nice job so far, though, and nothing that I would change.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

This is coming along very nicely! I like the change in the forest, the mountains and the cliffs are yummy. Beautiful colors, too.
    -÷-÷-÷-÷-÷-÷
    “It is not down in any map; true places never are.” (Herman Melville)

“A good map is both a useful tool and a magic carpet to far away places." (unknown)

Blog Entries

This is a simply wonderful map. Great stuff. Looking forward to seeing this complete so you can shows us the regions in more detail.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Wip change up

I decided, since this is the continental map, that I'm only gonna label the countries and major bodies of water. I put an icon for each nation's capitol city. All the minor cities and towns will be on the regional map along with the labels for everything else in each region. I think doing it this way will make it more user friendly.

I also added a Kraken attacking the gallion and i moved it to the western ocean. Gives it a little more decorative flavor

any suggestions before I call my first map complete?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Schataria3.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	26971  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like that kraken, but I thought the ship/kraken looked better on the right side; it helps balance things out a bit since you already have the cartouche and that big island on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    I like that kraken, but I thought the ship/kraken looked better on the right side; it helps balance things out a bit since you already have the cartouche and that big island on the left.
    Yeah, I was debating that in my head, but I decided to put it there because once I added the kraken it took up too much space on that side. It looked too close to the edge and too crammed.

There are places it wouldn't be crammed. I'd try (very) slightly west of the rhumb line center to the northeast. There seems to be room there. Even on the center might look good.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345