Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] My First Work in Progress! GIMP

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    But, right now, ivy is probably beyond my ability to construct. Any suggestions?
    I didn't mean ivy specifically, just in a few places where have the hedge grow over the top of the wall it adjoins, but don't over do it...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

This is looking really good; the only suggestion I'd make is to make your hedge-gate (currently bright green) wood or metal. The bright green is a little jarring.

As of right now, I've decided to try to find an old image with just the black and white maze and start completely over. I don't think it will be too terribly hard, but I'm cringing to think about it. I'll be able to copy and paste some of the stuff, though. But, the gap between the north-south walls being about 30% smaller than the gap between the east-west walls is really causing problems. Plus, the hex grid is that far off, and that really bugs me.

I'll also use this opportunity to increase the resolution from 1024x768 to 2000x2000 and 72 dpi to 300 dpi.

If I can't find an old enough image... I don't know. I really don't want to trash this project, but I'm just very unhappy with this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    This is looking really good; the only suggestion I'd make is to make your hedge-gate (currently bright green) wood or metal. The bright green is a little jarring.

It will be an arch supported by columns similar to the ones in the latest image, as will the blue and red doors.

Started over...

2000x2000x300dpi. Changed the layout a bit.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Labyrinth13.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.89 MB 
ID:	26585  
    Last edited by Sharpe; 07-03-2010 at 05:18 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

good luck with beginning again.. . at least you know the drill ... and sometimes you just know that its the right thing to do
    by the way, the 300 dpi setting is only "working" in relation to printing, as long as its on screen it will always be the screens resolution that decides how big the map is (ie 2000 x2000 pixels). In theory you could say that the 300 dpi is irellevant as even if you choose to make the map at 1 dpi the map would still be 2000 x 2000 pixels. But its good for checking how big the map would be if printed and for importing to other programs in its "right" size
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

On the bright side, doing things over will help you remember and even find better ways to do them. At least that's been the case for me. Also, you said something about moving hedges up a layer or something along those lines and I just wanted to make sure you do know how to play with the layers options and do things like: Overlay, multiply, Hard Light, etc? The more I use Gimp the more I'm getting into layers. It's my way to keep crap from getting all bungled up. I then save a .png file whenever I want a copy for uploading etc.

You probably knew this but I know you are still learning the Gimp so I figured just in case.

Anyway, based on how the last one was going I look forward to seeing you get this one completed.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep.. layers are an integral part of photoshop too - eventhough I do remember when I started with photoshop there was only 1 layer - yep, one saved A LOT!
    Now, I somehow always end up with 100+ layers
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks for the encouragement, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxilon View Post
    Also, you said something about moving hedges up a layer or something along those lines and I just wanted to make sure you do know how to play with the layers options and do things like: Overlay, multiply, Hard Light, etc?
    No, I have no idea what any of those things are...

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpe View Post
    But, right now, ivy is probably beyond my ability to construct. Any suggestions?
    Use the default ivy brush shrunk down and just paint it somewhat randomly in places where the hedge hits the walls.

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast