Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
Hmm. I just tried this, and with a noisy ocean layer the sobel edge-detect gives me a completely transparent layer; dead in the water. Then I tried it with a black and white land-mask type image, and got very little distortion (even with displace values > 100). It looks like the distortion it does give is on the right track though. Could be that it needs something more defined than solid-noise colored clouds (with light coastal area - same as I started with for my glass-ified ocean in my last map) and less defined than black/white stark image. I'll keep playing with it.

// Edit: Here are some comparison images in case they help. The blue image is just original and photoshop versions. The B/W is following the instructions you gave with a 200 displace.
Playing a bit more.

I tried Filter->Edge Detect->Edge (Sobel, value 10) (Not Filter-->Edge Detect->Sobel)
Gaussian blur 5
Duplicate the blurred layer.
Filter->Distort->Emboss (emboss, 0,30,30) on one (used as X displacement)
Filter->Distort->Emboss (emboss, 270,30,30) on the other (used as Y displacement)
Filter->Map->Dispace (20,20, edges smear)

The blur changes the size of the ripples and the displace amount controls the sharpness?

Here is the result:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ripple.jpg 
Views:	561 
Size:	44.8 KB 
ID:	26987

-Rob A>