Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Nope, I have 2.6.3 and it certainly has Gaussian blur.

Korash, open up a new document in Gimp with all the defaults, draw a line and then go to filters->blur->Gaussian blur. That should tell us whether it is a general problem with Gimp, or just a specific problem with your settings on your map image.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Thanks Torstan, I did that and I discovered that GIMP does not like .tif files (which sucks `cause that is what the big scanner at works saves as, besides pdf and cals files). I tryed a few other types of files (jpgs mostly) that I will be using as "bases" to making maps using the methods outlined above, and the only ones that didn't have the blurs available were the .tif files.

Maybe I should convert them to jpeg and will try that tonight

Excellent tutorial, you know your a newbie to this stuff when it takes you 15 minutes to find the overlay option in the layers control

Oh well everyone has to start somewhere.

Rog.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

With 17 years of army life behind me, and many of those teaching courses from Basic to officers, I have come to the conclusion that there is nothing that is truly idiot proof. Just when you think things could not get any simpler, along comes a bigger idiot.

To wit:

After finding out what my problem was with the blur thing, I find myself stuck on the very next step. I think that I did the noise and clip layers properly, but all I get when I slide the output level down is a darker gray layer and the land doesn't show at all. I have tried adjusting the opacity of both of these layers but that didn't turn out too well when it came time to use the wand.

signed
    Bigger Idjut

Back to tinkering with it to see if I can figure it out

:Edit:
    Please note that when using a layer to affect stuff below, that layer should be TRANSPARENT
    Last edited by Korash; 12-02-2008 at 08:45 PM. Reason: DOH!

I find a more complicated way to do something simple all the time....or I give up and find there was a simple way to do it all along.

I'd be a liability in the army

Night Breeze

sooo cool tutorial!! really awesome!! this is my first time using GIMP (and any layer-drawing program), and this tutorial made my map look so beautiful for me thanks a lot!!!

check out my map>>

Quote Originally Posted by Night Breeze View Post
    sooo cool tutorial!! really awesome!! this is my first time using GIMP (and any layer-drawing program), and this tutorial made my map look so beautiful for me thanks a lot!!!

check out my map>>
    I really like the color variation in your forests.... they seem to really come to life like few others using this tutorial. Did you do something different? Your mountains could do with a bit more bumpiness though.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Night Breeze

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I really like the color variation in your forests.... they seem to really come to life like few others using this tutorial. Did you do something different? Your mountains could do with a bit more bumpiness though.
    I really just did what I understood I had to do XD
    maybe I didn't understand it well.... but I also like the way the forest look like that

Guild Applicant

Praise

Wow, thanks a lot RobA this tutorial is fantastic. I was afraid to go near GIMP before reading through this and now I'm getting into it. Here's my first attempt, I struggled with the mountains for a long time then got beaten down by the forest. There was almost no way I was getting that forest right and I'm not sure what went wrong. As you can see I tried some techniques a little further down the line as well (didn't get them exactly right either).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TutorialMap.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	325.7 KB 
ID:	8400  

Page 10 of 45 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast