Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice Black Tower of Time's Avatar

Yes He done an incredible useful tutorial.

Also I need to say that you got really very good results for your mountains. I didn't checked all of that tutorial yet, so I don't know how easy it will get for me come up with similar mountains.
    I also hope we will get or I discover this great tutorial here in the future made as a PDF file or a video...
    I am new in this aria so be a nice guide

Question

Hey, I'm experiencing a strange problem when it comes to creating the first bump map. I'm creating the Grass Bumps layer and filling it with 50% grey and than I'm trying to create the bump map, but nothing happens. Whatever I'm doing and whatever parameters I'm changing, nothing happens! There's only grey in the preview windows and it stays flat... That's very, very strange and I can't figure out, what I did wrong. I tried doing a bump map on a plain red square in a new file, but without any results too! Is there something wrong with my version of GIMP then (2.6.3)?

Allright, I repeated the steps mentioned in my post above and now got to the point where I have to add the mountain mask. I only add it and don't apply it, right? Both methods don't result in an image as seen on Attachment 1489.
    If someone could give an advice, that would be nice. I still think that there are too many mountain maps. Don't the TLS layers need merging, or something?
    Last edited by Absinth; 02-11-2009 at 08:08 AM.

The way I look at it is:
    Does it look like you want it to? Did you learn how to make something like it again?

Because that's your point, right? The general techniques in this tutorial are awesome, but learning about how to apply them in different contexts is really the gem.

You're mountains look pretty solid to me, maybe add a bit of a spread and blur to the mask layer to blend them in, add a bump mask or two, and you're golden.

(Yes, by the way, there are an awful lot of mountain layers.)

Sorry, I think my post was somewhat misunderstanding. The pic above is from RobA's tutorial. That's how it's supposed to look after following the instructions that I quoted above.
    My problem is, that I added the mountain mask to the mountain colour layer, but the other layers (like the grass, dirt, sea and so on) don't show up! It still looks like in Attachement 1488!
    Do I have to rearrange the layers in some way?

Edit:
    Now I'm starting to blieve that it might have something to do with this section:
    Now we want to create a heightfield from this. The easiest way I have found to do this is to copy the current visible image (Edit->Copy Visible) then paste it (CTRL-V) to a floating selection. Click the New Layer button to get it on its own layer rather than a floating layer.
    In the PDF, Rob wrote, that you should not just add a new layer, but a new image, as I understood it. The screenshot indicates this, as the file is labeled "1 layer" (and not 19 or something, like in the other).
    He then further instructs to "just drop it onto the real map file and it will shop up a new layer". What is this "real map file"? Is it the one that can be found in the journal?! And why did he mention this in the PDF and not in his original post? This indicates that you just add it as a new layer to all the others.
    As you can see, I'm starting to get confused...
    Last edited by Absinth; 02-11-2009 at 09:49 AM.

Well, when I'm hiding the Mountains, Mountain Noise and Mountain Clip, I'm getting a result like in the image above! Is it supposed to work like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Absinth View Post
    Sorry, I think my post was somewhat misunderstanding. The pic above is from RobA's tutorial. That's how it's supposed to look after following the instructions that I quoted above.
    My problem is, that I added the mountain mask to the mountain colour layer, but the other layers (like the grass, dirt, sea and so on) don't show up! It still looks like in Attachement 1488!
    Do I have to rearrange the layers in some way?

Edit:
    Now I'm starting to blieve that it might have something to do with this section:

In the PDF, Rob wrote, that you should not just add a new layer, but a new image, as I understood it. The screenshot indicates this, as the file is labeled "1 layer" (and not 19 or something, like in the other).
    He then further instructs to "just drop it onto the real map file and it will shop up a new layer". What is this "real map file"? Is it the one that can be found in the journal?! And why did he mention this in the PDF and not in his original post? This indicates that you just add it as a new layer to all the others.
    As you can see, I'm starting to get confused...
    I went and tried to clarify a few confusing things in the pdf. The other problem was that features in gimp keep changing. In 2.6.3 I have noticed a funny behaviour in the way layer masks interact.

Can yup upload a zip of your xcf file?

-Rob A>

What an amazing tutorial! I don't done it until the end but for what I already done, it's 100% functional! I think I can think in do my own personal campaign setting... thanks to you I can do my maps Great job!

Sorry, Absinth--I was in a hurry this morning and didn't read very carefully. Have you worked out how to make your mountains yet?

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast