Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Post A few random questions

New to the site - I've been using Bryce with various results up until now. As a semi-artistic enthusiast, I've tried combining Bryce with PSP for years without really knowing how to do much successfully and recently broken down to using SnagIt! This tutorial has inspired me to work again on more artistic maps and more - shows me which directions to go.

Thank you very much.

As an aside (let the questions fly!):

Would importing an existing Bryce or similar 3D image work with this process, or would it be too much effort? (I'm thinking the existing 3D shapes would cause visual collision in the methods referenced here).

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Sorry, which tutorial and process are you referring to?
    Ah, the use of GIMP indicated in this tutorial.

I get to this point...

Now Invert the selection (Select->Invert), create a new black layer called “Land Mask”
    and fill the selection with white. Now save the selection to a Channel (Select->Save to
    Channel) and rename the channel to “Land Mask”. This will be used a fit bit later.

To make the ocean/water (and the base contour for the land as well) a two layer variant of
    the three layer sandwich will be used.
    Copy the “Land Mask” Layer, and rename it “Sea Shape”. Apply a Gaussian Blur
    (Filter->Blue->Gaussian Blur) large enough to eliminate the absolute black and whites
    of the image. In this case, I used the same size as the image (500px).
    1: I don't see a black layer? When I make it a "Back" layer - it turns out white and when I copy the layer...it's just white...so when I blur it, nothing happens?

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Azrof View Post
    I get to this point...

1: I don't see a black layer? When I make it a "Back" layer - it turns out white and when I copy the layer...it's just white...so when I blur it, nothing happens?

Thoughts?
    Create a new layer that is completely filled with black.
    Fill the current selection with white. You should now have a B&W picture, with the land white and the water black.

With the land still selected, save the selection as a channel.

Select None.

Duplicate the B&W layer.

(continue)

Hope that clarifies things.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Azrof View Post
    Would importing an existing Bryce or similar 3D image work with this process, or would it be too much effort? (I'm thinking the existing 3D shapes would cause visual collision in the methods referenced here).
    Many of the techniques (cloud rendering, etc.) are just ways to create moderately decent looking heightfields. You should be able to export any bryce image as a heightfield image an use in place of any of those.

The only problem would be the 8 bit limit in GIMP leading to stairstep terrain, having only 256 possible values...

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Okay, so stupid questions time:

1: I know at the beginning this is labeled as a regional map technique, not appropriate for whole world maps and not for local maps. But what, generally, do you consider the scale of this map (as in comparitive size to a region on real-world earth, or miles/km)

2. In obtaining some randomness to a coastline, what would the best method be to obtain such geographic features as barrier islands be... and at what scale would these even be features a map would normally show?

I was considering taking a fairly specific regional map, scaling it up to a very high pixel density (to within several thousands by several thousands) then using this method on a high blur that maintains the general shape to attempt to draw out some interesting geographic features like barrier islands within that framework, then scaling back down to a slightly smaller number of pixels while hopefully retaining those features. I haven't tried it yet. The idea is to take something like England or Nova Scotia or a similar regional area that on a world map is relatively small, but when viewed closely has tons of very interesting geographic features, including outlying islands that are too small to get picked up on the world map. Would this work, you think, for taking a general shape from a world map to produce a more detailed regional map?

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Okay, so stupid questions time:

1: I know at the beginning this is labeled as a regional map technique, not appropriate for whole world maps and not for local maps. But what, generally, do you consider the scale of this map (as in comparitive size to a region on real-world earth, or miles/km)
    Mentally, I was scaling things to be in the 5px/km range. So a 800x800 map would be around 160km (ish). But as mentioned, the textures can be scaled up or down appropriately.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    2. In obtaining some randomness to a coastline, what would the best method be to obtain such geographic features as barrier islands be... and at what scale would these even be features a map would normally show?

I was considering taking a fairly specific regional map, scaling it up to a very high pixel density (to within several thousands by several thousands) then using this method on a high blur that maintains the general shape to attempt to draw out some interesting geographic features like barrier islands within that framework, then scaling back down to a slightly smaller number of pixels while hopefully retaining those features. I haven't tried it yet. The idea is to take something like England or Nova Scotia or a similar regional area that on a world map is relatively small, but when viewed closely has tons of very interesting geographic features, including outlying islands that are too small to get picked up on the world map. Would this work, you think, for taking a general shape from a world map to produce a more detailed regional map?
    I show one technique in this thread for progressively adding coastline detail. A similar technique could be used for adding detail to areas: rivers/lakes/borders, etc.

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

just over 9,000 views.... does this make it the top viewed post ?? I don't remember seeing another higher .... you go YoDa ... make the thread Explode when you 10K ....

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Mentally, I was scaling things to be in the 5px/km range. So a 800x800 map would be around 160km (ish). But as mentioned, the textures can be scaled up or down appropriately.

I show one technique in this thread for progressively adding coastline detail. A similar technique could be used for adding detail to areas: rivers/lakes/borders, etc.

-Rob A>
    I saw this before, but I forgot about it before posting. I should really look before opening my mouth and asking stupid questions...

Thanks man! I'd give you more rep (I don't even know if mine counts yet), but it tells me I need to spread it around a little first...

Page 13 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363 ... LastLast