Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hello.

I really thank you for this tutorial it has helped me really to understand the basics of GIMP. To be accurate I never used GIMP before I've seen this tutorial.

I already did a Test map using the different techniques in this tutorial until the point where you make the forests.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Donut.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	383.8 KB 
ID:	11280

Like I said it's only a testmap so don't mind things like the forest going into the water.
    The problem's are:
    1. I don't really like the look of my forests they don't really blend in colorwise with the surrounding land.
    2. The texture of the forests strikes me still as being a little odd.
    Can you give me some tips on what to do to make them look better?

My actual Map is not going to be a Island but a crater with steep mountains on the edge with one or more paths leading out. The problem is while I think the mountains in your tutorial look quite good I don't think they are suited for this kind of map dominated by mountains. Can you tell me a way to create these mountains? And how can I give the whole map a hint of descending terrain?

The Area behind the mountains has not been exlored yet.

Thanks
    Maly
    Last edited by Malygon; 03-15-2009 at 07:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    If you had problems I can temporarily host them up on a ftp site supporting resumes.

-Rob A>
    Thanks for the offer, Rob, but it looks like I'm all good now. It was a pain in the hindquarters, but I managed to snag them. I'll be so happy when they finally finish installing the DSL in my area.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Guild Applicant

Hey all! Another GIMP noob who never used anything fancier than Paint here. Thanks a ton to RobA and the rest of the community for making this work. I've spent the last few days playing with GIMP, and now I have a map I'm pretty happy with. I've also felt good about playing around with GIMP and experimenting in a few ways: moving layers around, deleting layers and redoing them, and using tools that were (gasp!) not in the tutorial. Thanks!

PS: Any tips on improving my water would be appreciated. I missed something, but I don't know what yet...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	el mapa terrible.jpg 
Views:	428 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	11276  

How about adding a Shorline? It's in this tutorial and I think it lets the water blend in a bit more with the land.

Map

Hello, everyone! I've been lurking here for about a month or so and finally finished my first map using this tutorial as a guide. I'd say I'm a novice GIMP user but can follow instructions (fairly) well. This took about 6 hours I'd guess, much of which was trying to figure out what the heck I was doing. I've already thought of some things that would make this better (mostly in my variations on the instructions) but thoughts, suggestions, rude remarks all welcome!

PS - Thanks RobA! This tutorial has been awesome!

Name:	1st Map .png 
Views:	156 
Size:	2.75 MB 
ID:	11694  
    Last edited by Mychael; 03-24-2009 at 07:32 PM.

Guild Apprentice

Praise

Love this tutorial. I started working on it a few days ago, but have been preöccupied with my own projects. Can't wait to finish it though!
    Last edited by cancerlad; 03-24-2009 at 10:00 PM.

I've been lurking for a while, and have been using this Tutorial since yesterday and found it extremely useful. However, I'm having problems with the mountains - RobA's mountains were extremely well blended and the outline of the mountains were "noisy" and "fuzzy" as compared to mine. Does anyone have a solution? I was thinking it had something to do with when I inverted the selection in the TLS technique. -shrugs-

Thanks for any help in advance! ^^

Name:	28qztcj.png 
Views:	51 
Size:	470.3 KB 
ID:	11765  
    Last edited by Twitch; 03-26-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: Attached Map

After you applied the Layer mask and before you applied the Bump Map did you apply the Blur and noise?

The mountains and trees were definitely the hardest part of the whole thing IMHO.

Help River bevel?

Thank you very much for this great tutorial!

You can find my current efforts so far in attachment.

I am having trouble with the rivers. I don't really get how I should create the bevel. I downloaded the tutorial.xcf posted in this thread and when I look at the "river shore bevel" layer, it looks like black or grey lines on a transparent background. I followed the link to another thread showing how to do the rivers, but I don't end up with that at all (just with a bump map applied to the grass layer, which does not have the same effect).

Can anyone point to me what I'm doing wrong?

Name:	Map - WIP.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	12556  

Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast