Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter5 View Post
    I got to post nine before I realized everything was purple for some reason. Does this work with the newest version of GIMP?
    2.4 and up...

Like Joe said, post a sample (in a new thread, please....this one is getting way big) and we'll try and help you along.

-Rob A>

Strangely, I downloaded the colors file to exactly where it said to, but nothing happened. Does it matter that I had to MAKE a palette folder where it said it would be?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

HI all, I've been trying to follow this tutorial (which has been great up to this point), and I have hit a snag. I am confused by the following step...

Now we want to create a heightfield from this. The easiest way I have found to do this is to copy the current visible image (Edit->Copy Visible) then paste it (CTRL-V) to a floating selection. Click the New Layer button to get it on its own layer rather than a floating layer. Now stretch the colour range out (Color->Auto->Normalize):

What layer should I be making a copy of?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Strangely, I downloaded the colors file to exactly where it said to, but nothing happened. Does it matter that I had to MAKE a palette folder where it said it would be?
    I found I had to manually add the palette even after extracting it to the appropriate location. Go to the palettes menu and IMPORT PALETTE

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

As far as I can remember, gimp should have set up the directories.....

Did you put it in the install path directory, or in the user directory?

-Rob A>

Er... I opened the ZIP file and extracted it to the (newly created) palette folder.

EDIT: Didn't notice the other guy's post. I got it now.
    Last edited by megabyter5; 06-19-2008 at 05:37 PM.

I also am having troubles at this stage. I ma getting to this point then get confused with your layers and masks. The pasting of the new layer is about where I get lost then my screen doesnt match you posts.
    Any input would be helpfull.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    HI all, I've been trying to follow this tutorial (which has been great up to this point), and I have hit a snag. I am confused by the following step...

What layer should I be making a copy of?

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Edit->Copy Visible will make a copy of the image, exactly as you see it (with all the layers). It is kind of like flattening the image into one layer then copying that into a new layer.

Ambroise - I hope that helps you, too.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Edit->Copy Visible will make a copy of the image, exactly as you see it (with all the layers). It is kind of like flattening the image into one layer then copying that into a new layer.

Ambroise - I hope that helps you, too.

-Rob A>
    Thanks Rob, I forgot to post that I had got it worked out.

Page 15 of 66 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast