Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

@Phynix - In the normal gradient options you can choose the gradient to go between the two endpoint colours around the hue, or directly. This might be respected in the gradient map (sorry, no gimp handy today).

@Nolgroth - If you don't have all the channels selected anything you do will only apply to the selected channel. I.E. if only blue is selected and you fill with a pattern, it will only fill the blue component, even once all channels are selected later. Useful for a few things, annoying for most other if you de-select one channel unintentionally

-Rob A>

@Phynix - In the normal gradient options you can choose the gradient to go between the two endpoint colours around the hue, or directly. This might be respected in the gradient map (sorry, no gimp handy today).
    :
    Try just to have a "virgin" RGB channel set up to see what Happens. Make sure the Red Green and Blue Channels are all active and highlighted. Don't worry about the Land Mask. It shouldn't be causing any problems. If that isn't the problem, I don't know what is wrong. You may try checking the Layer Mode to make sure it isn't set to something weird.
    Cant explain it, but today I tried again (just selecting the colors from the palette again, and telling it to apply the gradient map) and it worked. No idea what was wrong... but maybe I was messing something up from tiredness, 'cause it was late at night.

Thanks for the response so quickly though, it was nice to see I wasnt ignored or something.

(And hello everyone, new to the forums)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, we never ignore anyone here. This is probably one of the more helpful forums around. Even if we don't know what the heck we're talking about (like me) we always try to help out or give a pointer or 2 or 5

Now the noise layer (I used detail 8 and size of and set the blend mode to multiply. Then add a third layer (remember the TLS) as a clipping layer, and use the levels dialog to bring it down to show the mountains you want Here is the screen showing the three layers
    Can you tell me in more detail about this step? thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by l3eater View Post
    Can you tell me in more detail about this step? thank you.

I would like to know more about this step also. I use solid noise alot, and what your saying makes no sense. or is it since? i dont know which to use for this...

anyways, your saying to use a detail 8 and size of 8 if im correct, but i have never seen a blend mode on it. Are you just talking about the layer modes?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

haven't used GIMP in about a month... IIRC the detail and size settings are for the cloud layer...

I hope I have this correct. The third layer is set initially to all white and then you use the 'levels' adjustments to "unhide" the mountains. Similar to what you do in Step 4 earlier in the tutorial.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by bryguy View Post
    I would like to know more about this step also. I use solid noise alot, and what your saying makes no sense. or is it since? i dont know which to use for this...

anyways, your saying to use a detail 8 and size of 8 if im correct, but i have never seen a blend mode on it. Are you just talking about the layer modes?
    That is want i think he is trying to say, i've tried that and the result was similar the the image

Edit: I finished creating a mountain!

I just need to know, on Post 12, when you have to do another G.Blur, does it stay the same as in 50 px blur or is it up to you?
    Last edited by l3eater; 08-09-2008 at 03:14 PM.

Hi there,
    just registered here a few days ago after i found this tutorial via google. It's really great! I had some problems with some things (i have the german GIMP, and some features are hard to translate ^^). But i think i managed most of it

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Nice job Carto! You managed the forest exactly as I tried to explain, something a lot of people seem to trip over.
    -Rob A>
    I think I am one of these peple
    I just don't get a nice colour, already tried various things, an now i am already closer to your example, bit not close enough ^^. Either its too shiny or to matt/dull or just the "wrong" green
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tutorial.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	6813  
    Last edited by Grizou; 10-03-2008 at 07:40 AM.

I have to say I just started using gimp and did what me and my friends thought was a pretty decent map...but I just have to say, "Whoa". This is freakin' saweet tutorial and I'm actually redoin' the map so I can make it the way I wanted to.

Page 17 of 66 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast