Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

ok my first attempt at layering...I'm not happy with it, but hey first time this is actually a world map for my 4th Edition game, I got alot of stuff I have to add, I can only hope that I make it look as good as your stuff does there man. Its still a work in progress but here's a before and after shot...lol...I think I need to redo the mountains......just delete and start from scratch.

BEFORE TUTORIAL:

AFTER TUTORIAL:

Looks nice!

Mountains are always the hardest thing to get looking good. There are a few other posts on mountains. Try searching the tutorial forum for gimp+mountain and you should get a few additional ideas.

-Rob A>

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Quote Originally Posted by heathan666 View Post
    ok my first attempt at layering...I'm not happy with it, but hey first time this is actually a world map for my 4th Edition game, I got alot of stuff I have to add, I can only hope that I make it look as good as your stuff does there man. Its still a work in progress but here's a before and after shot...lol...I think I need to redo the mountains......just delete and start from scratch.

Just wanted to point out: it looks like your coastline changed a bit from the original version to RobA's GIMP Tutorial Version. I imagine this is due to the fractalizing the coastline steps right in the beginning: i.e. using the 3-layer-sandwich and the cloud fill to make a rough and jaggedy coastline.

I thought I'd mention that if you were particularly liked your old coastline (which already looked reasonably jaggedy and fractalized, imho), then it's perfectly possible to sort of skip these early steps on RobA's tutorial and move to the later steps (the sea, etc.) To do this, however, you'd need to convert your existing coastline into a black-and-white layer (white land, black ocean).

You can do this several different ways, probably. It looks like you already have a black line for the coast. You can probably use the Wand-select tool to select the ocean and, on a new layer, fill it with black. (You should be able to select all the ocean blues by changing the settings on the wand tool.) This should fill black up to the same point at which your coastal line begins. Then, you just invert your selection and fill the rest with white. If you've done this all on a different layer, you'll still have the original you can use as a guide.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Tis sad to see such a wonderful tutorial which has close to 20000 (that's right!!!) in less than a year and yet it only have 13 rating votes. RATE THIS THREAD PEOPLE!!! please???
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Tis sad to see such a wonderful tutorial which has close to 20000 (that's right!!!) in less than a year and yet it only have 13 rating votes. RATE THIS THREAD PEOPLE!!! please???
    Duly noted and now rated.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I'm not even sure if the owner of this thread is online, but I saw the map and I was baffled so I decided to follow it and was doing pretty good until I got to the mountains... It's soo random? I finished with the dirt part... but I got lost after that.

Quote Originally Posted by sivilark View Post
    I'm not even sure if the owner of this thread is online, but I saw the map and I was baffled so I decided to follow it and was doing pretty good until I got to the mountains... It's soo random? I finished with the dirt part... but I got lost after that.

What exactly has you troubled with the mountains?
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Well, first off it kind of started with the black background and the mountains outlined and i was lost in the transition actually.

I read the side note that said it was similar to the land making, but I'm a little slow with tuts and I need to really study them before I can get the whole thing down.
    FEAR NO EVIL

Quote Originally Posted by sivilark View Post
    Well, first off it kind of started with the black background and the mountains outlined and i was lost in the transition actually.

I read the side note that said it was similar to the land making, but I'm a little slow with tuts and I need to really study them before I can get the whole thing down.

The best thing to do is to attack an image of what you have and let us know exactly where in the tutorial you are (page number if following the PDF file, or post number and section if following the thread itself). We will be glad to help you get over the hump.
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    The best thing to do is to attack an image...
    I don't know that attacking the image is really the right thing to do.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Page 18 of 66 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast