Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member Facebook Connected wisemoon's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Question Problems with tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by Rhotherian View Post
    I'm stuck here (I got it up untill the "(!!!)").

My coast doesn't become "defined". It just stays blurry. Sample merge was checked and the threshold was zero, yet nothing happened when I clicked. =/

<snip>
    This may be because of the blend mode applied to the "land noise" layer. You see, "overlay" made it invisible. Only when I changed the blend option to everything from "grain extract" to "multiply" did I get results simmilar to the ones above.

So, the main problem boils down to the layer blend options... =(
    I had the same problems Rotherian did. When I tried to use the "Magic Wand" tool (which in 2.6.8, the version I have, is just the Fuzzy Select tool), it did not do what it apparently used to do in 2.4--either that, or I messed up some earlier step. I could not get it to select an edge close to the blurry randomized part--it just did a smooth outline at the outer edge of the blur. I'm not sure what I did the first time to get it to look right, I played around with a few different settings so I can't recall the exact thing that worked. Thus, when you repeated the technique later in the tutorial, I had no way to make it work (should have written down what I did!).

I think I got a reasonable result by changing the blend mode to "Divide" instead of what you called for int he tutorial; that seemed to make a rougher edge, and I *think* the fuzzy select tool worked with that. but I can't remember for sure. But when I got to the Mountains section, I couldn't find a work-around. Mostly because I have several separate areas of mountains, and I couldn't figure out how to get them all selected at once.
    Here's a JPG of my image up to the step where you paint in the mountains in white and do the Gaussian Blur on them:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xamel_Region.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	25403

RobA, if you have updated your Gimp version, can you tell us how to do the steps in your tutorial that have to do with the TLC technique (particularly the Magic Wand steps)? I really like this style and would like to finish learning it, but I'm getting really frustrated. Thanks in advance.
    This and all other posts, including image or document files created by me that are linked in a post, are copyright Megan L. Wiseman, in the current year. Permission to use granted under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License unless otherwise stated in the post.
    Please visit my blog - cartography, popular culture, and my art/design journal. Here are my finished maps!

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    Create a new layer called “Land Clip”, filled with white above that, and set its blend mode to Lighten. You will have a white image. Now, with this layer selected, Open the levels dialog (Colors->Levels) and grab the white output slider, and drag it down. As this happens, the land will be revealed. Stop at a place you like, and click OK.
    Hello everyone, I need some HELP. So I've been following the guide so far up to this point no problem, however I've hit a roadblock. I created the new layer called Land Clip... but what does he mean by "filled with white above that"... Does he mean to use the bucket fill with white color and make the whole image on the Land Clip white? I've tried this but when I get to the output slider part my image does not change, it just stays solid white.

Any help would be appreciated.

Default Blacckamore calle

This post is great.
    I used the tutorial steps to write my script in GIMP to generate maps from black and white drawn layers to speed up the process.
    Hopefully help future Indie Game development.
    You can find my scripts on this thread: https://www.gimplearn.net/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=772

Guild Member

Hey Talonkaine,

If I recall correctly, Rob's tutorial is getting you to create a new Layer, fill it (or create it) with complete base white. When you're adjusting this layer as he mentioned, because it sits 'above' your other layer when you adjust the slider you should start to see the lower layers appear on screen.

I think I have a complete Tutorial GIMP file where I went through this process when I was learning too and can share it if you still need help and want to see all the layers separately defined?

Let me know.
    Ra.

Guild Novice Facebook Connected

Help Gimp noob

Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0). The larger the size, the more randomness your final coast will have. Give it a new random seed and jot down the number (I put it in the layer name afterwards as a reminder). And change the blend mode to Overlay.
    *snip image*
    I've tried this (and some steps after) over and over again in the past days, but it never really works for me
    All I get is a big square with clouds texture. Should I use the fuzzy selection before applying the filter?

I've downloaded your example file but couldn't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

This probably sounds to easy for you, but it's the first time I'm REALLY using GIMP and its features...

No - The clouds will fill the entire screen. It is the blending mode of the layer that does the magic. Ensure the layers are in the correct order and each have the correct blending modes set.

-Rob A>

I'm sorry to bother you with such a trivial question, but I'm GIMP newbie, and have tried to follow your tutorial but encountered a problem just at the start.

I created a simple map, scanned it and opened in GIMP. I made sure it was RGB and created a new clear layer. I traced the outline and filled it black. But when I try to invert the colors the black changes to white, but the rest of the layer stays white too. I'm using GIMP 2.4.3.
    [edit] Can it be caused by transparency of the layer and thus lack of background color to invert?
    [edit2] Ok I worked around it by creating a new white layer, moving it beneath the Land layer and merging them. Then applied inversion and it worked.
    Last edited by Crymoon; 01-29-2008 at 02:54 PM.

Guild Applicant

[QUOTE=RobA;9404]Post 3: Then Let's Begin (if I have an idea)

Create new layer called “Land Noise” and fill it with clouds (Filter->Render->Clouds->Solid Noise) Set the detail to the maximum (15) and the X and Y size to the max (16.0). The larger the size, the more randomness your final coast will have. Give it a new random seed and jot down the number (I put it in the layer name afterwards as a reminder). And change the blend mode to Overlay.

Hello there.. I seem to have trouble getting this to work right: I'm using GIMP 2.6.6 and attempting to follow everything to the letter. When you refer to "blend mode to Overlay", do you mean the "Blend Tool" on the left side toolbox, or the "Layers Mode on the right toolbox. I tried both ways, and nothing seemed to work right, and I cannot get the cloud layer displayed over the land areas as displayed on the next screenshot. It just shows up as gray sea (colour level adjusted to 71 on white land. I've been going back and forth over this for a while. Please help!

Guild Novice

Post Getting the coastline look "right"

Post 3: Then Let's Begin (if I have an idea)

Now that the environment is set up, it is time to begin. At this point you may have a rough sketch of a map, either drawn on paper or on the computer. Here is the rough sketch I will work with for this tutorial:

Name:	Post3-1.jpg 
Views:	5273 
Size:	68.2 KB 
ID:	1424

I was doodling a coast-line with a crater like shape, and decided to put places around it line the numbers of a clock. This will be my starting point for The Region of Closh

Load this image into GIMP, and scale it to the page size you want. I’ll keep this one smaller (500x500) to make the tutorial more manageable, but it can be as large as you want. Ensure that the image is RGB, and the size you want. You may have to adjust some of the techniques (scaling, bump mapping amounts, etc) depending on the size and scale of your map.

Now create a new transparent layer (Layer->New Layer) and name it “Land”, pick a big, solid brush in black and trace out the contours using the Pencil Tool, then fill the area you want land in black, and everything else white.
    GIMP TIP! – You can drag a colour from the palette or the color selector to an image and it will fill the current selection with that colour.

Name:	Post3-2.png 
Views:	5433 
Size:	210.1 KB 
ID:	1425

Now invert the layer (Color->Invert) and blur the image (Filters->Bur->Gaussian Blur) The amount of blur will determine how random the final coast will be. The larger the blur, the more random the coastline will be (in the blurry area). If you have a well defined coast already (like here) use a smaller blur (50px). If you have a poorly defined coast (as is the case when using a random coast technique) make it a large blur.

Name:	Post3-3.png 
Views:	4412 
Size:	225.4 KB 
ID:	1426

I went back and blurred a few areas more by hand on the main coast to get more randomness there but keeping the detail in the island ring. Note the histogram. What you want is a nice level image, with dark and light more evenly spread out, as opposed to a U shape.

Name:	Post3-4.png 
Views:	4705 
Size:	330.9 KB 
ID:	1427

Name:	Post3-5.png 
Views:	7033 
Size:	262.7 KB 
ID:	1428
    I realise this an 'old' tutorial and the world has moved on to GIMP 2.8 - but to a newbie 'old' is 'new'. Very good and simple tutorial on how to create a "realistic" coastline! Thanks

Guild Novice

Are there differences between the new GIMP 2.8 version and the older version used in the tutorial? And can I change the language settings of GIMP? I downloaded GIMP in Dutch, but as this is an English tutorial, that might be a little problem.

By the way, splendid tutorial. I am going to try it after my examinations.

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast