Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Guild Novice

Post Question about GIMP tutorial

Hello, Im following the "Using GIMP to create an artistic regional RPG map" tutorial and am finding it exciting. However, Im stuck on post 6. It states "copy" the land mask layer and Im not sure exactly what is meant by that. If its not creating a new layer or duplication of a layer, how am I to copy it? Im not clear on how to proceed correctly, so if someone familiar with that tutorial or GIMP in general could help me out, Id sure appreciate it. Im using GIMP 2.6, if that makes any difference. Thanks.

The land mask layer you created in the prior step is what he is refering to. You make a duplicate of it then alter it the way he suggests.

Guild Novice

Yes, I think I discovered where I went wrong, thanks! I am still having an issue with getting the color pallette downloaded. Where in gimp am I supposed to extract it to? theres no palettes folder?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

IIRC you can make your own and load the palette from there, but I haven't used GIMP in a long time.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

I am not sure what version of Gimp you are using (mine is 2.6) but this is where my palettes are : C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\palettes

Hope it helps
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Novice

Thanks alot! That worked without a hitch! Now I can get back to work!

Guild Novice

Hello again! I am wondering if someone could clarify a few issues I seem to be having with this tutorial. It appears a lot of people have had the same problem, Im stuck getting past the mountains stage. I get the TLS all set, but when I get to the mask layer Im confused. The channel, which am I working from? It says something about white to a layer mask..AAAAAARGH! Its been my stopping point after following the tutorial this far about 5 times now. Is there anyone who might have had some problems with this stage that has gotten past it that could break it down in a clearer manner? Id sure appreciate it, thanks.

"Use the magic wand again to select the non-mountain area (like with the land) and create
    a new layer called “Mountains Mask” with a white on black. (Also the white colour
    selection as a new selection mask using Select->Save to Channel)."

This is where the confusion begins, to be exact.
    Last edited by Isadore; 08-23-2009 at 08:40 PM.

Going from memory here...

Quote Originally Posted by Isadore View Post
    Use the magic wand again to select the non-mountain area (like with the land)
    OK to here?

and create a new layer called “Mountains Mask” with a white on black.
    So, create a new white layer, and fill the current selection with black.

(Also the white colour
    selection as a new selection mask using Select->Save to Channel).
    Select->Save to Channel and change the name of the new channel to Mountain Mask.

HTH-

-Rob A>

Guild Novice

Thanks, Ive gotten the problem sorted out. I was wondering if there is any other techniques you use for blending the mountain edges in. I reduce the opacity and do the blur with just a bit of pixel spread, and they look OK but there is still a distinct brown ring around the base of the mountain range. I was also wondering if anyone here has seen or could point me in the direction of any tutorials or techniques used in making swampy areas. Ive been fiddling around with some blurring and smudging as far as that goes and if I get anything to look decent, Ill try posting it. Thanks!

I've had luck with running a Filter->Noise->Spread after blurring to allow the edge to fade with less of a halo look. Alternately try the disolve blend mode (which is a bir harsher).

-Rob A>

Page 37 of 66 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast