Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Ok, what the heck? I posted, and It's not showing up... Anyway, no, I'm not missing anything, I reread the post about four or five times, redoing my process a couple of those times, before posting. I think it's something I'm not understanding. So if you can take a look at this: http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...8&postcount=13 and tell me what I'm not getting from that snippet, I'd be very grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    The City-Map-Colors.gpl file should go into C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\palette\ and GIMP will see it the next time it is run.
    Correction. The directory should be:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\.gimp-<version>\palette\
    http://www.monticello21st.com/rpg/nfwiki/
    Call the Lightning. Ride the Storm. Find your Power. Become Reborn.
    Seek your Place, and know it well. Live a tale you wish to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_Wilson63 View Post
    Correction. The directory should be:
    C:\Documents and Settings\<User Name>\.gimp-<version>\palette\
    Thanks! Fixed in that post.

-Rob A>

So not gonna help me here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jallorn View Post
    Ok, what the heck? I posted, and It's not showing up...
    Is it showing now?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yeah it is. Only now I've got a double post.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Gidde's Avatar

Ok, it still looks to me like you're skipping steps. Let's try to get to the bottom of it by listing all the steps up to where you are in a bit less space:

1: White forest fill on black outline
    2: Gaussian blur 50px
    3: Add noise layer
    3a: Select and save to channel
    4: New layer from Visible
    5: Normalize

The only thing I can think of is that you're missing the blur/noise steps, or you're trying to normalize your new channel instead of the new from visible layer (it automatically switches focus to the channel when you save a selection to a channel).

Must've been that I tried to normalize the layer. Thanks.

Guild Member

I wish I could use this tutorial, unfortunately, the German names for stuff are often so different it makes it impossible for me to find them. I might eventually figure it out though.

Guild Apprentice

Map

I learned so much from doing this tutorial, messing up stages, trying again, experimenting. I installed Gimp just a week ago now and feel like I'm well on my way to being a more "advanced" user. Thanks so much to RobA for providing this tutorial and for all the helpful comments and advice in the 40 (so far) pages of posts that followed.

The situation with my map was somewhat unique as I had to map it perfectly to scale with an existing game. It also means that I had to map what-is rather than what should be, so please excuse the straight roads and the geographically impossible rivers. If I start re-arranging the main continent now it is going to ruin "speedwalks" and settings for thousands of users.

The image is ok, but what really shows the power of this map is the video at:

www.aardwolf.com/temp/mesolar-bigmap.avi

If you follow along with the small (ascii) map at the bottom, you will see that the icons on the map, the roads, the mountains, etc line up with the ascii version which is why it all had to be to scale. Once I do the other continents, this map will replace the ASCII version:

http://www.aardwolf.com/temp/mesolar-realmap.jpg

So, this is quite a huge leap forward for us and is the first step in making the entire game content graphical. The "area" maps will be more traditional dungeon type maps - there are 5 continents in total with the areas linked from them.

It's far from perfect and I'm sure in a year's time I'll look at this map and cringe, but quite pleased with the results so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mesolar-to-scale.png 
Views:	753 
Size:	717.8 KB 
ID:	17249  

Page 40 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3036373839404142434450 ... LastLast