Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

@ISGC - Sorry I don't know where a palette file needs to go in Vista. Check your gimp preferences (file locations) and it should tell you where the palette file needs to go.

Foreground and Background (FG and BG) refer to the two colours (by default black and white) that either painting will use or erasing (when no alpha) will use.

@crackersncheese -
    Hide this new layer (by clicking off the eye icon). Create a new layer called “Grass Bumps” and fill it with 50% grey. Set its layer mode to overlay. It will appear to be gone now. That is how overlay works. 50% grey doesn’t change the underlying image, while darker shades darken the image and lighter shades lighten the image.
    Now apply a bump map to this “Grass Bumps” layer using Filters->Map->Bump Map.
    So create a new layer. Call it "Grass Bumps". Fill it with 50% grey. Set its layer blend mode to "Overlay".
    With that layer ("Grass Bumps") active, fo a Filters->Map->Bump Map, and in the first drop down box make sure it reads "Grass Bump Map".

This filter applies a bump map to the current active layer, using the layer selected in the first parameter of the dialog box as the source of the bumps.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    @crackersncheese -

So create a new layer. Call it "Grass Bumps". Fill it with 50% grey. Set its layer blend mode to "Overlay".
    With that layer ("Grass Bumps") active, fo a Filters->Map->Bump Map, and in the first drop down box make sure it reads "Grass Bump Map".

This filter applies a bump map to the current active layer, using the layer selected in the first parameter of the dialog box as the source of the bumps.

-Rob A>
    Thank you so much, I feel like I'm moving forwards again.

+Repped.

@ISGC - Sorry I don't know where a palette file needs to go in Vista. Check your gimp preferences (file locations) and it should tell you where the palette file needs to go.

Foreground and Background (FG and BG) refer to the two colours (by default black and white) that either painting will use or erasing (when no alpha) will use.
    Alright thank you.
    "I want to have a party, I want to have a party, I want to have a party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, you cannot kill the party, long live the party!" -- Andrew WK (Long Live the Party)

hello. Well, thank you for the PM. So, what i should do to turn the maps layers into one? I have to put overlay in all the layers?

Hello,

I took the time to run this excellent tutorial, and this is the result.
    It was the first time I used layers, filters, selection, masks, etc ...
    GIMP is very complex, everything is long to do, but finally, the map is pretty.

Thank you very much.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuto gimp v2.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	344.5 KB 
ID:	18887  
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

Nice job, Noon. You even managed to get the rivers embossed! You also seem to have a good eye for the blending layers, which seems the hardest part of the whole thing.

-Rob A>

Nice job, Noon. You even managed to get the rivers embossed! You also seem to have a good eye for the blending layers, which seems the hardest part of the whole thing.

-Rob A>
    Thank you RobA.
    Indeed, I'm very very happy about the rivers. When I discovered all those beautiful maps here, I asked me : "how are they doing to have so lovely rivers ?"
    And now, I know it :-D
    Noon

My website : http://www.lechemindenoon.com
    A project of role play (with my maps): www.rhim.fr

So this is most likely my first post in this forum, so hi! I have to say, this tutorial is really awesome. I ended up using it to make a map of a somewhat large landmass, bigger than the tutorial is purposed for, but I think it served pretty well. I haven't fleshed it out yet with any kind of roads or cities, or any sign of civilization, really. For geographical features, though, I think I'm more or less done. Any comments or suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cartha_final.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	295.1 KB 
ID:	18941  

ChocoKinesis, you need to go here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=3822

Since I don't have a River Police badge, I'm just going to say "Water doesn't do that."

Mountains, ocean, forests look good. You could use some hills, though. It seems a little extreme with the mountain ranges shooting up out of a lot of flat. A fine first effort, though, except for the rivers, which seem to be a problem for a lot of people.

Thanks! I was mostly messing around with the rivers, though I do like where the lakes are. I'll just move them around if I need to since I drew them on a separate layer apart from everything else. Is the color suitable, though?

Any pointers for creating the hills, or would greater depth while bump-mapping the grass be sufficient? I have a vague idea of how I might like to arrange highlands and lowlands, but no real clue on how to implement it.
    Last edited by ChocoKinesis; 11-26-2009 at 12:39 AM.

Page 43 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3339404142434445464753 ... LastLast