Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Carlo

Humm...

I have other question. I don't know how to do this: "Create a new layer called Grass Bumps and fill it with 50% grey, how can i fill it with 50% grey? i don't understan...D=

Thanks, and sorry if u can't understand my english....

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo View Post
    Humm...

I have other question. I don't know how to do this: "Create a new layer called Grass Bumps and fill it with 50% grey, how can i fill it with 50% grey? i don't understan...D=

Thanks, and sorry if u can't understand my english....
    50% grey = exactly half way between pure white and pure black. The color code for this is 808080
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Carlo

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    50% grey = exactly half way between pure white and pure black. The color code for this is 808080
    Thanks man....

Sorry bother again but i have other question...

In other part of the guide he said: Create a new layer on top of the blurry one
    and fill it with rendered clouds....Then set its layer mode to difference.

I did this, but the color's of my layer are different of his layer:
    my layer:
    [IMG][/IMG]
    his layer:
    [IMG][/IMG]

The problem is that when i go to the next part where i have to "adjust it to be a wider of white on black" the different colors dont let me do this...

So, this is my first post here, and the first thing I'd like to say is, thanks so much Rob for this awesome tutorial. It's pretty magical to see an ugly sketch I made really come to life.

I made this map, using this awesome tutorial for a campaign me and a mate are working on. I got a little grief for the geographical irregularities when it came to the position of the mountains in relation to the shoreline (He's a geek), but I'm pretty happy with it.

The forests didn't turn out awesome either, but I'm still content, considering I had expected to fail miserably in following the easy steps.

Isla Cativa:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cativa.Png 
Views:	166 
Size:	725.1 KB 
ID:	20238  
    Last edited by Morrinn; 01-12-2010 at 09:58 AM.

Help

Ok, this is my first time ever using GIMP, I used it before just for random doodles, but never like this. I have Mac OS X, and, this may sound very stupid, but could someone explain how to get the color palette into the correct folder.

Thanks!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

You could try putting here : C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\share\gimp\2.0\palettes

If you go up one folder, you will find all the folders that gimp uses to hold the various elements that you can add to. I am sure there are other places to put stuff, but to the best of MY knowledge this is where things go.

not too sure if the path is the same with Mac OS though
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent

Guild Applicant

Just like to thank Rob for his tutorial. I found this forum by accident while looking for map resources. Attached is my first attempt after a few hours of playing around. Sorry if I stole the compass from your tutorial but I wound up using the map in a game. If nothing else your ideas have converted me to GIMP from my old copy of Paintshop Pro. Thanks again.

I have a quick question about adding the adding in Rivers section. It says you can add in the rivers by drawing them in black with a fuzzy paint brush on the 'Grass' layers mask. It appears to work but all i see is the white colour of the Seashore layer underneath. Have a missed a step somewhere? Help much appreciated.

EDIT: Ignor the above! I forgot to colour the seashore layer blue.
    Last edited by JimmyDeemo; 01-23-2010 at 07:23 AM.

Just wanted to add my voice to the din of applause for your tutorial Rob. Like many of the people who have responded, I knew nothing about GIMP or cartography before finding this site and your tutorial really helped walk me through the process of making a map in GIMP. In addition, I have found your GIMP scripts and plug-ins to be tremendously helpful as well. Unfortunately I found your "fractalize path" script after I had already done the rivers, but the "smooth path" script saved me a good bit of time on my roads. You have done much to make cartography and GIMP accessible to the rest of us. So here's to you Rob A the "Gimp-pimper"! Rep well deserved.

Cheers,

-Arsheesh.

(Oh wait a minute, I guess I've already repped you recently. Gotta recognize a few other people before I can rep you again, but don't worry, I'll be back!).
    Last edited by arsheesh; 01-31-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Page 45 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3541424344454647484955 ... LastLast