Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Apprentice

It's possible you're playing with the wrong slider in the Levels. There's two bars, one for input and one for output. Check if you're fiddling with output. Oh, and that white layer should be set to "lighten" for its blend mode. That looks like the step you missed.

Quote Originally Posted by Skycast View Post
    This thread has inspired me to download GIMP and give it a try to make a map in this style. However I didn't get very far before hitting a bump in the road. Using the PDF as a reference, here's where I'm at:

Part 1, Page 8 - Created the "Land Noise" layer with clouds and changed the blend mode to overlay (I think I did that part right, but I'm not sure).

Part 1, Page 8,9 - Created the "Land Clip" layer and filled it with white using the bucket tool. Opened up COLORS > LEVELS and started changing the white output slider and nothing happened.

Obviously I've missed something here and being utterly new to GIMP it's not surprising. One question, when adding a new layer, what should the layer fill type be: foreground color, background color, white, or transparency? The only layer creation step that stipulated that part was the initial "Land" layer and it said transparency so I've created all my layers since there with that same type.

Thanks in advance...I'm eager to keep moving along with this experiement.
    Bottom Layer: Black with white where the land should be, and then blurred
    Layer 2 (Noise): color does not matter since this is the noise layer. Mode should be overlay
    Layer 3 (Clip): White layer with mode set to lighten only.

After your third layer, you then use the levels dialog to remove the solid white and it turns "grey" to black as you slide the output from right to left (whiter to darker). As the white goes down, it will reveal the "clouds" underneath on the grey/black background.

Hope that helps. Goodness knows, I have gotten a lot of practice with this since I got GIMP and this Tut. last week.

Joe
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Strangely, I downloaded the colors file to exactly where it said to, but nothing happened. Does it matter that I had to MAKE a palette folder where it said it would be?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter5 View Post
    Strangely, I downloaded the colors file to exactly where it said to, but nothing happened. Does it matter that I had to MAKE a palette folder where it said it would be?
    I found I had to manually add the palette even after extracting it to the appropriate location. Go to the palettes menu and IMPORT PALETTE
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by megabyter5 View Post
    As far as I can remember, gimp should have set up the directories.....

Did you put it in the install path directory, or in the user directory?

-Rob A>

Im having one major problem on the step that first tells you to apply a Gradient Map to the Sea layer, to color it blue. I have the correct two blue colors chosen, but when I tell it to apply the map, it turns into a red>green>blue gradient, instead of dark blue>light blue. I cant seem to resolve this myself... did I change some option somewhere?

I also tested this on a new file by making one, adding clouds, and trying the gradient map there, to see if some odd combination of layering was throwing my colors off, but I still got the wacky unintended color scheme from the gradient : /

Guild Adept

I was just playing around with using Channels as Masks and I noticed a couple of things. One, if all of the Channels are not activated or selected, it does some weird stuff with Gradient Maps. Also, if you used existing Channels to create new ones, it does some weird stuff.

Try just to have a "virgin" RGB channel set up to see what Happens. Make sure the Red Green and Blue Channels are all active and highlighted. Don't worry about the Land Mask. It shouldn't be causing any problems. If that isn't the problem, I don't know what is wrong. You may try checking the Layer Mode to make sure it isn't set to something weird.

Here is what mine looks like.

@Phynix - In the normal gradient options you can choose the gradient to go between the two endpoint colours around the hue, or directly. This might be respected in the gradient map (sorry, no gimp handy today).

@Nolgroth - If you don't have all the channels selected anything you do will only apply to the selected channel. I.E. if only blue is selected and you fill with a pattern, it will only fill the blue component, even once all channels are selected later. Useful for a few things, annoying for most other if you de-select one channel unintentionally

-Rob A>

@Phynix - In the normal gradient options you can choose the gradient to go between the two endpoint colours around the hue, or directly. This might be respected in the gradient map (sorry, no gimp handy today).
    :
    Try just to have a "virgin" RGB channel set up to see what Happens. Make sure the Red Green and Blue Channels are all active and highlighted. Don't worry about the Land Mask. It shouldn't be causing any problems. If that isn't the problem, I don't know what is wrong. You may try checking the Layer Mode to make sure it isn't set to something weird.
    Cant explain it, but today I tried again (just selecting the colors from the palette again, and telling it to apply the gradient map) and it worked. No idea what was wrong... but maybe I was messing something up from tiredness, 'cause it was late at night.

Thanks for the response so quickly though, it was nice to see I wasnt ignored or something.

(And hello everyone, new to the forums)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Oh, we never ignore anyone here. This is probably one of the more helpful forums around. Even if we don't know what the heck we're talking about (like me) we always try to help out or give a pointer or 2 or 5

Page 5 of 45 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast