Thread: [Award Winner] Using GIMP to Create an Artistic Regional RPG Map

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by nwelte View Post
    You have any suggests as to how to make artistic farm fields in this same style. As you can see from my map I tried to put furrows around a few settlements.
    mmmm.

Off the top of my head (and without gimp at hand) and if the scale is local enough....

Create a new gradient type that goes from white to black, but make sure you set the blend to be sinusoidal (the default blends are all linear).
    Select the area's you want to be fields using the pen tool to make a straight edged selection.
    Create a new transparent layer, and with the gradient tool, set it to triangular repeats, and fill the selection(s) with the gradient in the size desired for the row spacing. You can do it with different selection in different directions to make the furrows go different ways.

Use this as a base heightfield for:
    -bumpmap (on a 50% grey level like everything else)
    -colourmap (might have to create a brown-green gradient to represent the green crops on brown dirt.. a bit of pixel spread might work well on the colour after as well.. )

-Rob A>

Well this is my map of Shaulkar (Kingdom in a world I am working on) and I have gotten up to the mountain section. for some reason I am lost when I get to...

"Now the noise layer (I used detail 8 and size of and set the blend mode to multiply.
    Then add a third layer (remember the TLS) as a clipping layer, and use the levels dialog
    to bring it down to show the mountains you want Here is the screen showing the three
    layers:"

I don't know why I don't understand I do tend to have brains at times but for some reason my brain is not wrapping around this. Anyway here is a ss of my map in progress (want to play with colors more since around the coast it is to white and I want it more green)

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...nt=diffmap.gif

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caelan View Post
    Well this is my map of Shaulkar (Kingdom in a world I am working on) and I have gotten up to the mountain section. for some reason I am lost when I get to...

"Now the noise layer (I used detail 8 and size of and set the blend mode to multiply.
    Then add a third layer (remember the TLS) as a clipping layer, and use the levels dialog
    to bring it down to show the mountains you want Here is the screen showing the three
    layers:"

I don't know why I don't understand I do tend to have brains at times but for some reason my brain is not wrapping around this. Anyway here is a ss of my map in progress (want to play with colors more since around the coast it is to white and I want it more green)

http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...nt=diffmap.gif
    I am not too sure but I think I had a similar problem at that point too. Try turning off the other layers so that you see only the Mountain, Mountain Noise and Mountain clip layers. You should then be looking at something similar to what RobA shows on page 11 in the tut. I did make a black background layer at the bottom of the stack to see the "sandwich layers" better though.

Not sure that this will help but......