Quote Originally Posted by Rhotherian View Post
I'm stuck here (I got it up untill the "(!!!)").

My coast doesn't become "defined". It just stays blurry. Sample merge was checked and the threshold was zero, yet nothing happened when I clicked. =/

<snip>
This may be because of the blend mode applied to the "land noise" layer. You see, "overlay" made it invisible. Only when I changed the blend option to everything from "grain extract" to "multiply" did I get results simmilar to the ones above.

So, the main problem boils down to the layer blend options... =(
I had the same problems Rotherian did. When I tried to use the "Magic Wand" tool (which in 2.6.8, the version I have, is just the Fuzzy Select tool), it did not do what it apparently used to do in 2.4--either that, or I messed up some earlier step. I could not get it to select an edge close to the blurry randomized part--it just did a smooth outline at the outer edge of the blur. I'm not sure what I did the first time to get it to look right, I played around with a few different settings so I can't recall the exact thing that worked. Thus, when you repeated the technique later in the tutorial, I had no way to make it work (should have written down what I did!).

I think I got a reasonable result by changing the blend mode to "Divide" instead of what you called for int he tutorial; that seemed to make a rougher edge, and I *think* the fuzzy select tool worked with that. but I can't remember for sure. But when I got to the Mountains section, I couldn't find a work-around. Mostly because I have several separate areas of mountains, and I couldn't figure out how to get them all selected at once.
Here's a JPG of my image up to the step where you paint in the mountains in white and do the Gaussian Blur on them:
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Xamel_Region.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	25403

RobA, if you have updated your Gimp version, can you tell us how to do the steps in your tutorial that have to do with the TLC technique (particularly the Magic Wand steps)? I really like this style and would like to finish learning it, but I'm getting really frustrated. Thanks in advance.