Thread: Awesome GIMP battlemap tutorial on NewbieDM.com

Link Awesome GIMP battlemap tutorial on NewbieDM.com

Just wanted to point out this excellent tut. to the cartographers here....

http://newbiedm.com/2009/11/09/newbi...athan-roberts/

I'm not in any way (except that I read it) affiliated with newbieDM.com.

That's good stuff. Typical for Torstan...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Go Torstan!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

... and here I was going post about this today. Scooped by myrkul

I'm glad you like the map mykul. Thanks to you guys here for the comments about the map in the later stages. This will be a three parter that will go up over the course of the week. I'll see about pdfing the tutorial at the end and get it up in the tutes section here.

The contact with the newbieDM blog came up through the CG and I'm sure you'll notice the nice fat link to the CG right at the top of the post

Post I Shoulda knowed....

... That you'd be on here.

But it's a great map, and I wanted to make sure that everyone saw it. Knew I'd goofed when I saw today's post (part 2), and it included a link back here.

One question: How long did it take to get the full, finished map? I'd hate to spend half a day building a detailed map, with light, shadows, and all the trimmings, only to have the PCs decide not to bite the Plot hook. Maybe I just plan too far in advance.

And one... Criticism? comment? I donno... but, How are the PCs supposed to get to that other tunnel? it's 50 feet above a pool of Lava. That's gotta be one brutal Jump check.

They can climb down, jump the lava (they can do it with a couple of 5' jumps) and climb up the other side. They could also use ropes and grappling hooks, short distance fly abilities (for example from complete mage or the 4e sorceror abilities). So there should be a way they can get across.

As for time, about an hour (maybe a little more if you include the layout design and thinking time) to get to the point at the end of this tutorial I guess? The lava took a little longer. But if your players don't bite a plot hook involving a dragon's lair then you need to get yourself some braver players

And the final section is up. I'll pdf it and get it up over here some time later this week.

http://newbiedm.com/2009/11/17/newbi...emap-part-iii/

Thank you for posting the link to this tutorial. I was able to follow it and create a passable map to import into 3d virtual tabletop, for my pathfinder game. I blew away my players when I unveiled my tablet and said, you are here.... Thank you again