Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Working on my next map - Kingdom of Gibeon

As I was thinking of the 50/200, one of the thoughts that I had was that these were the depths that a person could potentially swim to. It is possible(though not likely) that someone could swim to 50 feet without any gear, then 200 feet is the most they could go to without some specialized gear that wouldn't normally be available in a medieval/ dark ages setting.

I've personally gone down to 25' without any help- I don't think that I can hold my breath long enough to go deeper and still resurface, and the deepest that I have dove with gear was 100'.

The general technology level for my world is equivalent to about the mid 12th century with some areas being slightly beyond, or behind.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    As I was thinking of the 50/200, one of the thoughts that I had was that these were the depths that a person could potentially swim to. It is possible(though not likely) that someone could swim to 50 feet without any gear, then 200 feet is the most they could go to without some specialized gear that wouldn't normally be available in a medieval/ dark ages setting.

I've personally gone down to 25' without any help- I don't think that I can hold my breath long enough to go deeper and still resurface, and the deepest that I have dove with gear was 100'.

The general technology level for my world is equivalent to about the mid 12th century with some areas being slightly beyond, or behind.
    Repped!! I hadn't ever considered that when doing ocean mapping, but you are completely correct. Thanks!
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

I have to agree with RPMiller - using the diving ability of people is a perfectly rational way of determining what depths to map. In fact, it immediately gives you information for when your players are out on that water, and they decide to get wet. Brilliant.

I have to say that your map is absolutely gorgeous! The choice of font gives it a very definite character, too.

Quote Originally Posted by RPMiller View Post
    Repped!! I hadn't ever considered that when doing ocean mapping, but you are completely correct. Thanks!
    I'd rep you too, if I could! when I read that my first though was, "Hey, that is an awesome idea to put information into the ocean part of the map, rather than just to look pretty!)

-Rob A>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123