Thread: Continent Map, One more down, 3 to go...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Journeyer

Any tutorials for using inkscape for labeling kicking around?

Quote Originally Posted by Lathorien View Post
    Any tutorials for using inkscape for labeling kicking around?
    Nothing specific but I can outline the procedure I use.

- Create a new image in inkscape.
    - Import the finished, unlabeled map.
    - Set the image size to fir the selection (this will make the inkscape canvas the same size as the imported image)
    - open the layer palette, and lock the layer the map is on (Should be "Layer 1") Now you won;t keep selecting it, and you can easily turn its visibility off in the layer palette.
    - Create a new layer for each type of label (I tend to have layers like "town markers" "town labels" "regions" "rivers" "water bodies") that will have a different text style.
    - Add the labels. Work in a 1:1 view, and don;t make the text too small or it will be come illegible. You can check it easily by Alt-B (make bitmap copy) which will show you what an element will look like when exported as a bitmap.
    - Using the layer panel, turn off the visibility of the layers and export them one at a time as full image pngs. (I like to do effects like glow, shadow, etc in gimp, but you could also do them in inkscape)
    - import all those layers back into gimp and apply the effects you want (if doing them in gimp).

-Rob A>