Ok, so I've been working on This just playing around. With the suggestions listed, I began trying to tweak it into something more realistic with foothills and plains. So I started examining real geological/geographical data and relief maps. My problem is this: I can't seem to recreate something that looks quite right compared to a DEM (digital elevation model) map. The DEMs render up with some wonderful smooth plains, foothills, and mountains.

I've used several tutorials from the forums here as well as around the net that I've dug up. I've been able to make good looking very rough terrain, high mountains and rocky land. I am however having a devil of a time trying to create anything that looks more natural with mountains, foothills, and plains. I have an idea for a map that I'd like to create next, but I really need some help getting over this hump before I can start much on that idea. I suspect that my attempts are falling short in some way that I'm just not seeing, but I could really use some extra eyes.

So, anyone have any ideas to help me out here? I've tried several methods in photoshop and I'm coming up dry on ideas.

Thanks for the help!

Here's the original height map for the linked thread.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	original heightmap.jpg 
Views:	6703 
Size:	759.8 KB 
ID:	31056