Thread: The Land of Tereden

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Here are my thoughts (in no particular order):

I love the texture of the map - it almost seems to glow. I also love the individual mountain symbols. The font choice, size, placement and orientation (except for Amber Valley - not sure why it's at an angle) really works for me as well. I like your convention of naming cities and towns in all caps and terrain features in upper and lowercase.

A scale bar might be useful (although if this is accompanying a book, distance information might become apparent from reading the book itself)

Do the mountains, forests and rivers symbols need an explanation in the legend? In fact the only symbol which I don't understand (maybe they're fields or steppes) are the large cross hatches above the text for the Southvale Expanse. The symbols in the Westwood Wastelands and Amber Valley also don't appear in the legend. I'd suggest either putting all or none of the symbols in the key.

We've recently been having a chat about rivers on this thread and this thread . Worth having a read but the potted version is that rivers don't (or very rarely) fork, instead they merge. This needs to balanced against the fact that it's a fantasy map and weird things happen in fantasy worlds. That led onto a wider discussion on the extent to which fantasy terrain should follow natural laws. Nonetheless the rivers in the map do some extremely funky things - there's one (Moroth river) which cuts across the entire continent and has a triple fork in the middle.

Anyway all these are tiny points on what is a lovely, visually pleasing map. Great work!

Ravs