Thread: Help - GIMP Brushes

Help Help - GIMP Brushes

So, at the recommendation of just about everyone (and their mothers), I've started playing around with GIMP.

I have gotten the impression that it is possible to create your own brushes and insert them to be used in GIMP.

Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

I have some BMP objects that would really be nice to have as brushes.

Thanks, in advance.

Administrator Facebook Connected Robbie's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure about GIMP but I know photoshop brushes are vectored...so you'll probably need to use something like inkscape to load up and trace your bitmap objects into vectored shapes that you can then turn into gimp brushes...but you'll have to get the scoop from a GIMP user to be honest.
    All Hail FlappyMap! Long Live MapFeed!

Robbie Powell - Site Admin

You can create a picture in Gimp and then save it as a brush, by selecting the extension .gbr for the file. Make sure you save it in the directory where the brush files are stored, or Gimp wont know where to look for it.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Thanks -- I really appreciate it. (That's going to hopefully make this December challenge much more do-able within the time limit.)

And a quick tip - if using GIMP 2.3dev (and up including the current 2.4) anything in the copy buffer is immediately available as a brush. It shows up at the very start of the brush palette!

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Arcana View Post
    I know photoshop brushes are vectored...
    You sure about that? The reason I know that isn't the case is I spent this past weekend playing with PS and doing a bunch of layer compositing and at one point needed some custom brushes.

I slapped this tutorial together in just a couple minutes as a demo.

http://www.citlink.net/~rpmiller1/BrushCreation.html

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to keep it up for very long as my ISP only gives a tiny bit of web space.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.