Thread: Māinm, development and stuff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

As always, thanks for the comments, here's a quick update or just a quick does-this-make-me-look-fat check before I go to bed.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coloors.png 
Views:	74 
Size:	276.1 KB 
ID:	32579

As I said earlier, Tolkienian style mountains. Those stand out a lot if they're completely black, though, and I'd have to go with much smaller shadows, so I've thought of coloring the mountains by climate. At least three colors: Red for the dry mountains on the rain-shadow side, towards the desert, green for the rain-side, and blue for cold and icy glacier mountains. Possibly black for generic cold mountains.

I haven't yet actually figured out how to make it go colder the higher up you are. That is not common sense, after all: everyone knows warm things go up, and the Sun is up there, what do you mean it's cold (there actually is a bit of atmosphere up there with it's own -sphere monicker that is quite warm, but mostly it gets colder)? Either I'll have to add a small atmosphere that only covers the bottom of the world (the sky dome is 4500 kilometers high: on Earth, space is defined to start at around a hundred), which follows gas and pressure laws, or I'll have to come up with something completely outlandish and fascinating. The atmosphere would do the trick, though. Maybe an ether of the spheres, that happens to be cold. Hmmm.

EDIT:

God, this whole style turned out so Tolkienian. Tolkienian coast-lines, tolkienian mountains... Even the latin script I made is so Tolkienian.

There is no other explanation to it.

Tolkien was a genius.

EDIT:

Well, the exact exact style isn't tolkienian per se, now that I googled it again. There is a fan-made map of Middle-Earth that had this style of mountain, but the usual maps don't have this kind of single-ling mountains, but proper shading. The coast-lines are totally Tolkienian, though. Well, as much as something as basic as it can be.
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 01-15-2011 at 06:13 PM.