Thread: Māinm, development and stuff

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	werejoinourheroes.png 
Views:	145 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	32515

Today I've mostly concerned myself with ornamentation: the coast line sea patterns, the ocean colour patterns, and graticules. Also cleaned up stuff.

The coastline seat pattern is a conservative, but still good-looking, Tolkienian-style parallel-lines pattern. To add variation, the outermost waves are dotted lines. Done with GIMP; I used to do this with Inkscape, but I actually think GIMP's patterns (selection to pattern and pattern to selection) are a bit less power-hungry than the ones in inkscape, and it turned out all right.

The ocean colour patterns... This took several variants to get right. I decided to not go with the pattern I created for the Ysi Special Edition Soho Go Go Let Us Fight The British In Manhattan Exhibition version, but instead tried to come up with a new one, or maybe not do one at all. In the end, after several patterns that weren't suitable (including a Japanese cloth pattern using semi-circles and a twirly one, etc.), I settled on this basic pattern I took inspiration on from the internet. I'll have to clean up the edges, which makes a tremendous difference: if you look at the middle and right-side ocean pattern borders, you'll notice a definite difference (and improvement) with the ones I've left unfudged. The layer uses a transparency mask, so it's easy to edit what parts of the pattern shouldn't show.

The graticules: there are two of them, because this is a flat world, so a square graticule is 100% appropriate: but, it's also a world with a definite center, which makes also polar coordinates 100% appropriate, so this 200% appropriate.

I'm also trying out a mountain style.

I also came up with a plan to add zodiac-style signs on the edges of map: a star map showing navigation stars, showing a particular season (probably Eastern (left) summer)).
    Last edited by Naeddyr; 01-14-2011 at 03:40 PM.