Thread: January 2011 Entry: Discovery & Exploration of Eiskanderlund

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

The map size is fine. I usually go a bit bigger. What isn't fine is your choice of formats. Max bitmap size is 4.77 MB, and the board software can't be argued out of that limitation. The answer is to simply save as a JPG and adjust the lossiness (lossy-ness) down until your map fits. Yes you lose some fidelity from the original, but it takes a fine eye to see it, even if you've adjusted down from a max of 12 to a 7, which makes the map much smaller. It's completely lost on me, but I'm probably not typical. Regardless, that's what people do because that's what we have to do. I love PNG, but not for maps.

Forgot to mention that the 12 scale is from Photoshop. Not sure if it's used anywhere else. Also, your map is off to a good start, but your blue water is so saturated that even my colorblind eyes can see it. That may work... who knows where the next great idea will come from... but generally you need to tone down the saturation a bit on satellite maps. You can always consult with the master of the genre, Ascension, if you need some pointers. He most certainly is not colorblind.
    Last edited by Immolate; 01-18-2011 at 08:01 PM.
    ----------
    My Deviant Art Map Gallery