Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartographic Terminology

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Novice

If anyone's interested, I have the Army's Map Reading Field Manual (FM 21-26) in a 10 mb zip archive...as well as another one, Topographic Symbols (FM 21-31)...I guess I could upload it somewhere here, or place a link to it on one of my wesbites. Let me know what folks think best.
    Last edited by buddha6; 02-18-2008 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks for offer buddha - I found the topographical symbols on line, but not the map reading field manual. (I'm interested in this as I like to go hiking rather than from a cartographic point of view!)

Topographical Symbols here

Guild Novice

I didn't realize the globalsecurity.org folks had posted those...thanks for the pointer. The map reading FM is available there as well...it's FM 3-25-26 IAW with the new numbering protocol. A portion of our property, here in VA bounds the Appalachian Trail and we see lots of hikers when we're out there...good luck on the hikes.

That's an interesting resource. I wish the images were a little larger. Hard to steal if they're so reduced.

Here's a list of generic terms for toponyms(you know, "Hudson Bay," "Rocky Mountains"). It's specific to Antarctica, but most terms would be useful generally. It' can be good for avoiding everything being named, "Sea of...," "... Mountains," "... River."

Honestly, this is more the kind of thing I was hoping to find in this thread. I'd also like to find more foreign terms with definitions, such as gebirge, erg, wadi, etc...

I was poking around some ancient maps for inspiration on style and I REALLY love aesthetic of these sun- compass-looking things in this map. They look like they have some function of triangulation and since this appears to be a fragment of a much larger map, I can only assume that the other lines belong to other sun-compasses, but I have no idea what they're really called.

Anyone know or have any guesses?

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Honestly, this is more the kind of thing I was hoping to find in this thread. I'd also like to find more foreign terms with definitions, such as gebirge, erg, wadi, etc...
    So then would you care to provide definitions for those terms? I know wadi, though:

Wadi: A riverbed that is dry most of the year. (Arabic)
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Quote Originally Posted by su_liam View Post
    Well, you can't beat Wikipedia for that... convenient organized into the following categories:
    • 1.1 Coastal and oceanic landforms
    • 1.2 Erosion landforms
    • 1.3 Fluvial landforms
    • 1.4 Mountain and glacial landforms
    • 1.5 Slope landforms
    • 1.6 Volcanic landforms
    • 1.7 Deposition landform

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landform

-Rob A>

Bathymetry: The underwater counterpart to topography. The representation of ocean depth on a map.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Gebirge - (German) mountains, mountain range
    Erg - (Arabic) dune, sandy desert
    Hamada - (Arabic) rocky plateau
    Chott - (Arabic) salt lake
    Djebel - (Arabic) mountain
    Nahr - (Arabic) river
    Oued - (Arabic) river
    Sahara - (Arabic) desert, plain
    Sebkha - (Arabic) salt marsh

There's a start.