Thread: Village of Belirus WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

ahh I see, I'll have to try my hand at that, thanks gamerprinter!

The thing about the ones you had was they showed the walls. A top down shot won't show walls. Though you also showed the tree trunks at the bottom of the forest......

Are you wanting to make an isometric map (like a view from a hill) or a aerial view map?

-Rob A>

haha well, at this point I'm trying both, I figure I have a map with components that are very similar, I've never made a map like this so I figure I got the time to try out both ways, an isometric style, and an areal view. The last little image was of an isometric style, still need to fix the boats and docks to make it similar to the forests and buildings, and I may try messing with the mountains.

Anyways how do the buildings and forest look? (besides being similar, I plan on coloring a few different etc.)

So yeah both Isometric(as I see it artistic) and areal, top down view are both great looking maps, and just trying to figure out what one I like doing more, and what seems to work with my kind of taste or style.

Well heres a continuation of my isometric attempt, heres a few of the structures I've attempted to make, I happen to like the docks thing and the castle, the buildings, I think seem to be better, and will try and mess with more later (trying to find a simple effect that looks good, and easy to change and add.) So you know all of this, is pretty much layer effects, and other simpe things, the drawing and other stuff that I've done I've tried to make it as a layer style for that simple effect I'm trying to get

Anyways thoughts opinions anything would be great, oh and I know the dorky buildings look huge compared to the castle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citydetail3.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	817.6 KB 
ID:	2065  

Well I'm nearly finished, need to just finish up the tents in the market, add in a few more paved roads, and find out some way of adding in "fancy" homes for a noble section... Other then that this thing is near complete, heres an updated section

Ideas, problems, opinions, anything would be great!

edit: hehe I can see a few mistakes just by looking at this example, like tents sticking out when they should be under shadows, anda few buildings are like that too =D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Citydetail4.png 
Views:	50 
Size:	606.8 KB 
ID:	2069  
    Last edited by Yandor; 12-29-2007 at 04:33 PM.

Wow, Yandor--you've done a lot of work! Nice going!

I think my main issue with this map stems back to RobA's question some posts ago: is this an artistic or realistic map? In this most recent version the roads & fields (for example) are very symbolic, wheras the houses and grass appear representational. This is jarring overall.

I do like the iso view you've been able to produce in the walls and trees--very cool, with much potential!

Keep going, this is a good map!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks Pyrandon! I've been putting in more things, like the tents and other random things, because I just couldn't pin what it was that didn't "fit". I'm new to this kind of thing, and I'm shooting for an artistic view I guess, and with the roads and crops, I'm at a lose to make them fit with the buildings and grass, some pointers, and what may work, or any ideas would be grand, but until I get it to work, I'll keep experiementing