The guys who are adept at using CC3 would tell you to stick with ProFantasy. Many can produce fast and useful maps using vector software like Adobe Illustrator, CorelDraw, Inkscape or my personal favorite Xara Xtreme. Others use raster applications like Photoshop, PSP, or GIMP.

It really depends on you, the kind of applications you like to work with, there is no one software that is ideal, you really have to experiment and find what you like as many of these applications are "apples and oranges" regarding technique and application.

I dabble in most map making apps, vector apps and photoshop - I use them all. Personally I find using Vector applications the best as you can import PNG map objects and other raster files. Note a vector app is not necessarily a mapping program so presets of map sizes, etc doesn't exist. You must make all the settings, grid, etc. yourself.

I say, download GIMP and Inkscape (both are free), and even download a 30 day free trial of Xara Xtreme, and whatever other free trials exist and experiment with all of them. Try to create your desired map using all applications - surely one of them will prove easiest to use for you, then that software will be ideal for you.

I hope this is not too general an answer.