Thread: Asteroidal Pirate Caves - 3D experiment...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip If space is a concern...

I've decided my initial crew quarters are just too lavish for my pirates, so...

If space or the lack of it is a concern, how about influence from a Japanese Capsule Hotel! Here's a smaller "state room" version. Perhaps these individual chambers are officers quarters. You can see the toilet (this one is a sliding drawer commode) just beyond the bed on left side of the chamber. Also a "television/monitor" can be seen on the left center wall.

I'll create a common bunk room / common commode area for the general crew. In fact, I'll make the common bunk room the chamber outside the officer quarters in the image below. So its really one barracks room with officer capsules attached on one wall.

Note the "pin-up girl" on the wall - its really a topless girl with a cubs jersey painted on... (give you a little thrill...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	capsule.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	2075  
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 01-01-2008 at 03:31 AM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Wip Common bunks

How about a bunk contraption for 20 crew members? Now I just need to figure out how many people man this station, to decide how many bunks to create...

WIP so far...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunks.jpg 
Views:	712 
Size:	82.7 KB 
ID:	2076  
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Nice! Hammocks! I like that slight touch of anachronism. A little nod to the swinging canvas sleeping arrangements so often seen in movies. Cool.

Post Old West or Pirate Space - an anachronism too!

Yeah, when I started to think about spartan crew facilities - good ole navy hammocks came to mind. I "teched" it up with the yellow metal framework and the plush and pillowed hammocks themselves - but its still reminiscent of a bygone era. I will look to see what other nostalgic or anachronistic features I can add to the complete map - just for further experimentation.

I'm giving the station commander a state room, officers get the modular wall cells and the troops will be bunked in two parallel rows of hammock lines for 40 troops, 4 officers and the commander, for a total crew of 45 pirates. Perhaps 36 aboard the heavy armed pirate corvette, with 9 maintaining the station - maintenance personell, operations managers and infirmary physician...
    DrivethruRPG store

Don't forget that hammocks aren't always going to be filled at the same time either. Depending on space requirements, it could be likely that hammocks are actually shared as there will always be at least one shift "on duty" whatever that might be. So you could theoretically reduce the number of hammocks to even 20 if half the pirates are always on duty.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

How much gravity?

In a near 0-G environment, hammocks aren't that useful. IIR, some of the micro-G beds used in the space program were more like sacks that you could hang off a hook to sleep in.

And in the future, I'm sure cabin fever would be overcome by VR, or at least A/V headsets to provide a fully immersive "not stuck in space" experience...

-Rob A>

Post I understand the realities of space living...

I understand that in reality, the pirate station, would ideally be somewhere less than 1 G, so space sickness is lessened between life between station life and extra-vehicular activity.

However, for fantasy/sci-fi gaming 1 G is pretty common on stations and aboard ship (at least what you're used to on TV - Battlestar Galactica, Trek, Serenity, etc.)

So I guess I'm designing a facility using normal earth gravity. Whether this is created through centrifugal spin of the asteroid, or by artificial "grav unit", I'm not sure - I think the latter.

Is this realistic? Probably not, scientifically, but for gaming I think its the direction I'll go and gamers would expect...

I'm not trying to create the type of beds found on the space shuttle or MIR station. That's low tech for my perceived sci-fi setting.
    DrivethruRPG store