Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Afternoon

Post Looks like Torq's October Challenge map...

The colors in this map reminds of Torq's October Challenge Map, style too. Torq used GIMP, so I imagine Photoshop would be just fine to create maps like this. Some of the mountains look like fractal generated mountains, while some of it just look like brush strokes with shadowing applied. I see embossed/pillowed river banks also similar to Torq's map.

I like the rivers and lakes in this map - nice job on this one.

You might consider downloading GIMP as this is free and their are many great tutorials here for GIMP. (Since GIMP is very much like PS, you should catch on fairly fast - even going back to PS and trying similar techniques there.)

Look at the various fractal noise generators to create your mountains.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I think, like Gameprinter, that this could readily be created in GIMP (or Photoshop). In fact, I'll bet RobA's tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142) basically shows the same techniques that could be used to create it; although the example you provided shows a larger region, so all the details are on the map are smaller, I see basically the same system at work.

My suggestion would be to go through Rob's tutorial as written, than play with it to make the same sort of map you've linked. I don't see it being to difficult to emulate.

Good luck!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Guild Journeyer

I have been working out a style for myself to use in Photoshop with a goal similar to this map.

It looks like the mountians are a combination of displacement mapping (Either with the displace filter or a bevel layer blending style) with the "metal landscape" texture applied to another layer just above it.

I was stuck trying to get the forests to looke the way I wanted, and now I've got the idea.

I'll tinker a bit and see what I come up with.

Yes, Glen--share the wealth!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Guild Journeyer

Just to let you know that I have not forgotten my promise, I have been working out a few kinks I found. More details and a WIP Thread should be coming in a day or two.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12