Thread: New Campaign World

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

It looks lovely, but is there an 'in game' need to have so many fine gradations of altitude? I can see the problem, having the fine gradations on the map makes it nicer to look at but imports a need to explain what each colour means. I'd suggest combining the two green spectra into one and then you would just need to use the first colour of each spectrum, green, light brown, dark brown and black in the key without labelling each colour in the spectrum individually. The map user ought to be able to figure out roughly the altitude of individual colours from that. Of course this means having to make a key manually rather than use the auto one that FT generates in CC but it may be worth the effort...although it's only a very small point and not worth the effort if you are going to be generating tonnes of maps.

Funny you say this, right after I posted it I thought, Hmmmmm.....Too many Contours, so I cut it down by half
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	New World--Altitude-2.JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	345.1 KB 
ID:	2214  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    But then you lose the pretty colours on the map
    Ah, I still have the many colored map for myself.

MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

The revised gradient is more akin to hypsometric tinting, while the first provided contour line information.

If the transition elevations are actually important (different rules due to elevation...travel rates, air quality, air clarity/turbulence) to the world, then keep them in so you can clearly identify "this community is > 4000 ft, or you are traveling above 7000 ft" times.

Also - were the rivers auto generated by FT? They seen to run at 45degree angles an awful lot...

-Rob A>

The rivers were auto generated with the INCISE FLOW and then Find River function. I then retraced them with a fractal line to make them less straight. I'll look tonight to eliminate some of the 45 degree ness of them. Tha x for the input.

Guild Novice

Post Very nice!

Hi Neon,

I want to create a new campaign world for our 4E game, and your mapping project looks like something I've been wanting to do. Your work is excellent and very inspiring!

I started my project with CC3 and created a gigantic 10000x8000 world map with just the continental outlines (basically just green borderless landmasses with VERY intricately drawn coastlines and islands). My goal was to create the continents and then go back and create the individual regional maps as needed. But the continental map proved to be too large and unwieldy. It was difficult to copy portions of the continent over into the smaller regional maps. So, I decided to buy FT and start over. That's where I am now.

Did you use FT for everything so far? If so, what settings did you use when you generated your landmasses? How about the coloration - what settings did you use there? Any other tips for us newbies?

Once again, I really enjoyed your maps!
    - Tom!