Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP

I seem to be having some difficulties with this tutorial. I use the latest version of GIMP so that might be some of the problem, but after I have made all of the mountains and exported them to brush form, they come out much smaller and sort of... "smushed". It looks a little like someone took the 400 x 400 mountain images and made them smaller using Paint; they are incredibly pixelated and do not look at all how they look in the guide.

It's a little frustrating, since otherwise I haven't had any problems, but this is an important step I think. I went over the instructions to make sure I hadn't made a silly mistake somewhere, and I don't see anywhere where I differed. It's quite perplexing, does anybody know what might be happening?

Hi, I'm new to map-making and this site. This is the first tutorial I looked at, and if the rest of this site is even half as awesome, I'll be thrilled. Thanks for the great and simple tips!

Hi everyone, another newcomer here. Is there any way of using this animated brush technique in Photoshop (currently using CS5)?
    If not I guess I need to learn Gimp as well

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Same here, I paint what looks like 1 mm x 1 mm lines of mountains. I can't figure it out and also the instruction to select the Circle 07 (9x9) Brush... there's no such brush in the folder. I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Stephens View Post
    Same here, I paint what looks like 1 mm x 1 mm lines of mountains. I can't figure it out and also the instruction to select the Circle 07 (9x9) Brush... there's no such brush in the folder. I'm lost.
    In the 2.8+ version of gimp, the individual brush sizes have been replaced. Just pick the circle (hard) brush and size it to 9px.

-Rob A>

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Thanks, a friend on Facebook eventually pointed me in that direction. I got that part figured out.

So, to keep updates current (in the thread at least, if not in the tutorial itself)

Select the 100 hardness tip and set the size in place of sized brushes.

And Export, not Save As, to save the brush file.

Also, the path (at least in Vista) for saving the brush is C:\Users\Owner\.gimp-2.8\brushes

I've gotten as far as making my 2 sets of mountains and a set of trees. I'll post any more updates if I find more out of date info as I progress!

My first tutorial and my first gimp map!

I've scanned my hand draw map to use as coastlines then I have followed the tutorial, creating few dynamic brushes.

Here's my unfinished map so far. Still need to add water (rivers, lakes), cities and colors.

The problem I have is that I can't figure out how to separate land mass and sea. The land mass isn't closed so I can't select it with the select tools, there're too many cuts in the coastlines. Is it an easy way to do this? I don't want to retrace all the coastlines with a pen tool, my mouse isn't as accurate as my right hand.

Thanks for the great tutorial.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World_Arnd_2.jpg 
Views:	339 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	55966

I tried this tutorial, and step by step, I made a success for in maitriser a little more GIMP.
    This is not very impressive, but what I learnt is very hepful. Thank you for your tutorial.

As a fan of this morge hand drawn style maps I give you a big digital hug for this one! NICE!

EDIT: Figured it out.. I needed the tool options window. How unintuitive. I am cruising along now.. thanks.

I followed this tutorial but I can't seem to get the brush to be anything but tiny pixelated mountains. It won't let me edit the brush. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. How do I get the brush to come out as 400x400?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Erroll; 01-16-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast