Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] Fast and Easy Artistic Maps in the GIMP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

To make a river delta you could just make the brush a bit wider at the end to make a triangular shape connected to the river. You could also draw a few smaller streams splaying out into the bay. Don't make a lot, and make sure they are very close to the beach.

Shallow water typically has a lighter color than the deeper ocean/sea. This is pretty easy if you have layers and channels for your land/sea boundary. If you have no idea what that means, don't worry, just keep trying some more tutorials on the site I went through about two dozen (including this one) before I made my first map, they are generally very helpful.

As for general pointers/advice: ease up on the mountains, put them in clusters closer together, not spread uniformly across the whole map. Try adding in some more asymetry with the land/water. Save your image as a jpg instead of a pdf

I seem to be having some difficulties with this tutorial. I use the latest version of GIMP so that might be some of the problem, but after I have made all of the mountains and exported them to brush form, they come out much smaller and sort of... "smushed". It looks a little like someone took the 400 x 400 mountain images and made them smaller using Paint; they are incredibly pixelated and do not look at all how they look in the guide.

It's a little frustrating, since otherwise I haven't had any problems, but this is an important step I think. I went over the instructions to make sure I hadn't made a silly mistake somewhere, and I don't see anywhere where I differed. It's quite perplexing, does anybody know what might be happening?

Hi, I'm new to map-making and this site. This is the first tutorial I looked at, and if the rest of this site is even half as awesome, I'll be thrilled. Thanks for the great and simple tips!

Hi everyone, another newcomer here. Is there any way of using this animated brush technique in Photoshop (currently using CS5)?
    If not I guess I need to learn Gimp as well

Guild Applicant Facebook Connected

Same here, I paint what looks like 1 mm x 1 mm lines of mountains. I can't figure it out and also the instruction to select the Circle 07 (9x9) Brush... there's no such brush in the folder. I'm lost.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Stephens View Post
    Same here, I paint what looks like 1 mm x 1 mm lines of mountains. I can't figure it out and also the instruction to select the Circle 07 (9x9) Brush... there's no such brush in the folder. I'm lost.
    In the 2.8+ version of gimp, the individual brush sizes have been replaced. Just pick the circle (hard) brush and size it to 9px.

-Rob A>

I tried this tutorial, and step by step, I made a success for in maitriser a little more GIMP.
    This is not very impressive, but what I learnt is very hepful. Thank you for your tutorial.

EDIT: Figured it out.. I needed the tool options window. How unintuitive. I am cruising along now.. thanks.

I followed this tutorial but I can't seem to get the brush to be anything but tiny pixelated mountains. It won't let me edit the brush. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. How do I get the brush to come out as 400x400?
    Thanks
    Last edited by Erroll; 01-16-2014 at 11:20 PM.

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

I was making some detailed trees and tested out the new brush when I had 3 trees and it worked fine (but seemed to produce one tree more often than the other 2). I made 2 more trees and when I went to test it out with 5 trees it would only produce the tree at the top of the list despite me choosing random and 5 ranks. What's going on? The size I set was 400x500, wouldn't work despite multiple attempts and fiddling. I then tried 500x500, no effect. 400x400, still producing only the tree at the top of the list. Then I finally deleted trees 4 and 5 and it wouldn't work with the exact same settings it worked at earlier with three trees. What's going on???

Guild Member Facebook Connected Micah Doulos's Avatar

I figured this out. When you save your brush the first time, it automatically fills in the # of cells as the number of layers in the file. If you add layers after your first save, make sure to adjust the number of cells. The # of cells should always be equal to the # of layers, just like the # of ranks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast