Hullo All,

Being new to this map making hobby There's some excellent tutorials here that I've started and also been fiddling about with various bit of software just getting to know what they can and cannot do. The main criteria is that they’re free as spare cash is not something I have a lot of.

I’m thinking "what style of maps I want to make first?" but looking on this forum I see so many different styles that appeal. Where to start?

I’m not GMing at the moment now so there’s time to do some pro-active work on my world. There’s lots of locations from my setting but I’m looking for a game world to slot everything in it’s place. Having started creating my world in a bottom up sort of way I think a bit of top down is needed. I hope you get what I mean. So onwards.

The plan is to create world map overview and then zoom in to various parts and flesh out some more. RobA has some cool tips on doing that but I was looking for another way to try to keep terrain details as well (I'm lazy!). From a tip from Torq I looked at Terranoise (http://www.guruware.at/main/terraNoise/index.html) which was cool but it mentioned it was based on Libnoise. So I looked at Libnoise (http://libnoise.sourceforge.net/examples/complexplanet/index.html) and thought I'd investigate.

So here is an example of zooming with Libnoise. I just zoom into the centre of the pics. I'm still figuring out all the inner workings but as a (very early) WIP what do you think?

Planet
Click image for larger version. 

Name:	terrain18-lower.png 
Views:	479 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	2197

Zooms

Name:	terrain19.png 
Views:	253 
Size:	1.72 MB 
ID:	2198

Name:	terrain20.png 
Views:	208 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	2199

Name:	terrain21.png 
Views:	242 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	2200

Name:	terrain22.png 
Views:	278 
Size:	2.24 MB 
ID:	2201

Obviously the zoomed in areas would just be the base of the maps with lots more details added.
I'm not too sure about the mountains style. I think they need to look a bit more 'ridged' - needs more tweaking.
Anyone got any experience with Libnoise? Or other (free) software that does this?

Also I'm not sure what the policy is on posting pics (size, res, format, number) - any advice?

Well, thanks for looking.
Nic.