Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help save my map!

Guild Apprentice

No good reason other than I was playing around trying out various symbols just see how they looked. This map is not just my world map it is also my own little tutorial in progress. I am constantly changing things up. so far I like the looks of the Spiderhaunt Woods and the unnamed forest in the southeast betwixt the mountains the best. I will be having another go at the forest in the Wild Lands up north later this week, and will post after those changes as well.

It's the best way to learn. Forgot to add (repeating myself from earlier) - one of the biggest enemies you have in this map is the very obvious repeating pattern terrain. You might be able to get away with it if you put down a lot of elements on top if it so the repeat isn't so obvious. I don't use CC3 but maybe one the CC3 whizzes can help with that. The alternative is to put one or two semi-transparent fills on top of the first one to break up the seams. Worth a play.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    It's the best way to learn. Forgot to add (repeating myself from earlier) - one of the biggest enemies you have in this map is the very obvious repeating pattern terrain. You might be able to get away with it if you put down a lot of elements on top if it so the repeat isn't so obvious. I don't use CC3 but maybe one the CC3 whizzes can help with that. The alternative is to put one or two semi-transparent fills on top of the first one to break up the seams. Worth a play.
    Are you talking about the background fill for the landmass? If so, I agree. I grow less fond of it every day. But, I havent had the guts to try to change it yet.

You're the 2nd person to refer to transparencies. I havent tried them yet and are not really even sure what they are or how they work.

Guild Apprentice

Here's a question I have come across. If I am trying to erase or edit an entity, I have to first select that entity, but sometimes it is very hard to do without selecting other entities and I will see in the command line entity selcted (2) or more. Is there a way to unselect 1 or more entities before proceeding with the action? I have been right clicking and choosing cancel then trying again until I find some way to select only what I want, then proceeding.

For your terrain, there is a few ways to help eliminate that annoying pattern.

These are:

1: Easiest to do, go to the sheet effects and apply a slight blur to that LAND sheet. This will 'blur' the image for that sheet and as a result displace that repeating pattern.

2: A little hard is to find the FILL STYLE name of the BMP used for the land and change the size of it, by changing the scaled width options to something a little larger.

3. Tied to number 2 above, create a new sheet, located just above the LAND sheet and put a slightly different land fill style on it, and make that slightly transparent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	untitled.JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	2398  
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Quote Originally Posted by NeonKnight View Post
    3. Tied to number 2 above, create a new sheet, located just above the LAND sheet and put a slightly different land fill style on it, and make that slightly transparent.
    Similar to adding a turbulent noise layer in multiple mode (or whatever mode) in PS or GIMP!

-Rob A>

Guild Apprentice

Wip newest version

newest version is up.

I changed the background fill. Not convinced I like it yet.

I also changed the trees for the spiderhaunt woods to reflect how the trees look with webs filling them to the point where they are largely unrecognizable as trees.

More to be done this weekend. Finish filling in all the forested areas, also going to add some more easter eggs for my players to find.

Name:	winterheath area green test.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	236.0 KB 
ID:	2452  
    Last edited by eleran; 02-22-2008 at 07:26 PM. Reason: forgot to add map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Post Background fill

Here are two tiles I came up with a day or so ago, just playing around with fills and what not, trying to feel my way around Paintshop. Thought I'd at least offer them

Its looking good, btw. Can't wait to see the next update

**After looking for a second and third time.. these might be a little too much in the way of land fills.. too much noise that is...

Name:	Green Tile 01.png 
Views:	40 
Size:	97.1 KB 
ID:	2453   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Green Tile 02.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	2454  
    Last edited by Badger; 02-22-2008 at 07:39 PM. Reason: **Addendum

They may not be the best for a general land fill, but they might work out well as forest fills.

There's an unresolved question in the thread regarding separating objects that are in a stack while selecting. I was wondering about the same thing. I have figured out how to exclude an item of a particular color (NOT), but surely there must be a way to exclude everything that doesn't meet a test. Can I select only the black objects in a stack, for instance?
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast