Thread: Commission rates for Fantasy Maps in books... HELP!!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I found a comment over at Board Game Geek I thought I'd share here:

"When you hire an artist, you're paying for a lot. Your paying primarily for the copyright, or the right to copy the artwork, not just for the artist's time. This can get complicated, because you may want to do multiple print runs or reuse an image in other places, and the respectable thing would be to pay the artist more in those circumstances. You're also paying for their expertise and skill level, as well as how fast you need the artwork and how in-demand the artist is. Costs are high for a lot of practical reasons as well: software and computer costs, art supplies, insurance and other benefits (that the artist would get in a full time job), self-employment tax... it's all out of pocket for someone self-employed. If you're paying a professional freelance artist minimum wage, you are definitely not paying them enough. It just isn't sustainable long term if art is their full time occupation.

Average cost per hour for a graphic designer is $65 and illustrators often charge per project, a small (that is, in size) illustration running $150-300 average for a color job. Of course, royalties (for illustration) can help offset a high start-up cost. An overall flat fee is customary, and you may find something cheaper, as was already stated, in a bulk deal. If it's only graphic design that you are looking for, and it's not complicated work, you're far more likely to succeed in finding someone willing to simply do layout work for a good price. So yeah... you have to be real serious about it. Remember, a good artist and quality materials are investments. Also, I second Mr. Nick Hayes. Hope this is helpful. "
    I want to add in the cost for a professional also likely includes *limited* changes if you don't like the initial artwork/sketch and needs to be changed. You're paying for the person's time, resources and skill in working on the artwork, so while it may seem high per piece, you're also paying for the quality of the final product and on a specified timeline that the professional will meet and will be working on carefully to the deadline.
    EDIT: Should have added the link - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/...ost-of-artists

-Rob A>