Thread: Product Idea: Map Objects printed to Cling Stick??

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Product Idea: Map Objects printed to Cling Stick??

For 'Cling Stick' material I got for my 15" cutter comes as a 50 yard roll, 15" wide with holes punched on either edge to fit on my cutter. I also have a thermal transfer color print that can print to the same cling stick in full color. It doesn't print as clean as an inkjet printer, so 4 color graphics is kind of 'meh' comparatively speaking. But I can print full color onto cling stick then cut the shapes out. I'd weed the excess material, cut off the hole punch area, which would leave a 12.5 inch wide paper strip the length of the full cut roll. I could cut the strips into 6.25" x 11" pieces with cut, full color cling sticks.

Three problems.

Full color thermal transfer is kind of expensive printing, still I could fit five objects high by four objects in a 1 foot length of cling stick on the roll. To pay the cost, make a profit and make available on consignment from other shops, a set of 20 cling stick objects (or more if smaller objects like campfires and sleeping rolls) would $19.95 as a guessed sale price.

The second problem is that cling stick material is soft, so its subject to tearing, or getting gouged by miniature base corners. For the price you'd want something more durable, but cling stick is soft and pliable by design. You can place it on a laminated map surface and its not going to move, until you carefully peel the cling stick object off - you have to do it carefully!

The third problem as hinted above 300 dpi full color printing on thermal transfer is kind of dithered, so the graphics is just not as clean as inkjet printing. I think I can print to cling stick with inkjet too, but I lack the cutting equipment for film wider than 15 inches and it has to be punched...

Since I already print and laminate encounter scale maps for mine and other publisher maps already, combining cling stick map objects seems a perfect fit. Again, I've always held off pursuing the product due to price and durability issues with the material. Would a gamer pay $20 for 20 or so cling stick, full color map objects?

Thoughts?

GP
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 05-21-2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations